AD Michael Alford: New Mexico Bowl is 'extraordinary' opportunity for Chippewas

imr1704

Michael Alford has never been to the New Mexico Bowl, but he knows of its spectacular hospitality.

Central Michigan's athletic director flew into Albuquerque for a luncheon and press conference Wednesday at the Canyon Club at Four Hills, a member-owned private country club.

"All their plans and how they roll out the hospitality for teams and fans coming to the city, they've really supported the game in this community," Alford said. "I've seen it already, just how excited they are for this matchup."

Alford formally accepted the bowl game bid at the luncheon and press conference, and he had dinner with bowl representatives Wednesday night before flying back to Michigan at 6 a.m. Thursday.

But Alford won't be gone for long, and the next time he's in Albuquerque, a pack of Chippewas will be joining him. 

The football team is set to arrive in three days.

"To experience the culture of Albuquerque and the people of New Mexico's hospitality," Alford said, "I'm really excited."

When Central Michigan announced it was playing in the New Mexico Bowl, Alford was in the room when first-year coach Jim McElwain had his players answer the question of if they had ever been to New Mexico.

Just a couple of the athletes put their hands in the air.

That excited Alford.

"Just the educational piece of coming to a different culture, different climate, different geography," Alford said. "They're going to step off the plane and see these mountains, and they're special. It's a beautiful part of the country that 98% of our team has never been to or would have no reason to come here."

The Chippewas, sitting at 8-5 overall, have a 2 p.m. Dec. 21 matchup at Dreamstyle Stadium against San Diego State, a program with a 9-3 record under defensive-minded coach Rocky Long. 

Through the 2019 season, the Aztecs have allowed just 12.8 points per game.

While the teams have never met, McElwain coached against Long while at Colorado State in 2012. The Aztecs won, 38-14.

"He's familiar with what they'll try to do and vice versa," Alford said of McElwain's opponent. "They'll know what he does, so it's a great matchup."

The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl was the only other bowl game Alford has been involved in since he was hired in July 2017. The Chippewas lost to Wyoming, 37-14, at Albertsons Stadium in Boise, Idaho.