Acknowledging NFL dreams, QB Quinten Dormady focuses solely on winning championship

imr9773

Central Michigan quarterback Quinten Dormady runs the ball against Toledo in the teams' Nov. 29 game at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

Quinten Dormady doesn't want the 2019 season to be the end of his football career, but he's not letting those thoughts get in the way of putting Central Michigan in the history books.

The 6-foot-5, 219-pound graduate transfer senior quarterback is set to lead the Chippewas at Ford Field for Saturday's Mid-American Conference championship game.

Regardless of what the future might hold, Dormady's only focus is on his performance against Miami (Ohio).

"I've tried to never be a selfish guy," Dormady said. "I just want to go out and help the team in any way that I can."

The former Tennessee and Houston quarterback has played in eight games this season, sitting out the other four due to a knee injury.

During the time of Dormady's absence, between the third and sixth weeks of the season, junior quarterback David Moore stepped in until he was suspended by the NCAA for violating the banned substance policy.

By that time, Dormady was back to full health and ready to start the Week 7 matchup on Oct. 12 against New Mexico State.

Dormady has completed 153 of 227 passes (67.4%) this season for 1,916 yards and 13 touchdowns against five interceptions with a 152.8 quarterback rating – the 22nd best in college football. 

Tossing 10 touchdowns at Kelly/Shorts Stadium, he didn't throw an interception on his home turf.

When Dormady came to Central Michigan as a graduate transfer from Houston in the offseason, he made sure his focal point wasn't just on using the opportunity to boost his resume for getting to the next level.

The veteran quarterback was more interested in meeting new friends, learning from coach Jim McElwain and offensive coordinator Charlie Frye, having fun with the game he loves and, ultimately, winning.

He's done exactly that.

"The extra stuff, playing at the next level, will come along with it," Dormady said.

Dormady has improved throughout the 2019 season and played his best football in November by completing 60 of 81 passes for 894 yards, five touchdowns and just one interception. 

While Dormady's center of attention is clear, he didn't deny that playing in the NFL is buried in the back of his mind.

After all, it's been his dream since childhood.

"I definitely want to get my shot at the next level," Dormady said. "We'll see what happens after this year."

From starting five games at Tennessee in 2017 before being benched and later suffering a season-ending shoulder injury to redshirting in 2018 at Houston, Dormady has been counted out on multiple occasions.

That's given him determination to be successful with the Chippewas, but it hasn't consumed him.

In his five-year collegiate career, Dormady has completed 255 of 408 passes for 3,206 yards and 20 touchdowns against 11 interceptions. 

Dormady has the chance to put another storied win on his Central Michigan resume in the MAC championship.

The quarterback believes a victory will continue to show that he can compete at the top of the food chain, regardless of what happens once this memorable campaign is complete.

"That's a personal thing, going out and proving that I can play at the highest level," Dormady said. "We'll see what happens in the future.

"Right now, I'm just focused on the game this week, getting everything put in, going out and winning another game."