Park Library encourages de-stressing during exam time

Crayons and coloring sheets sit on a table Dec. 4 in Charles V. Park Library.

University Libraries is providing support to students as they battle through final exams. 

From Dec. 1-12, there will be de-stress activities and special events like puzzles, games, sticker art, coloring and legos.

Charles V. Park Library will be open until 2 a.m. every day, except December 6-7, when it will be open until midnight. The After Hour Access - 1 North Study Room will be open 24 hours.

"During the two weeks after Thanksgiving, the energy of students studying at Park Library is palpable," Kathy Irwin, dean of University Libraries said. "I love feeling that energy in the air.”

The second floor will have a de-stress zone and a square canvas labyrinth mat. 

“Walking a labyrinth is a mindfulness and stress management tool. When a person walks the labyrinth, their breathing slows down and their thoughts focus on their present experience,” Irwin said.

University Libraries is also partnering with the CMU Counseling Department to host an “Uplift Me” bookmark activity. 

“During final exams, students experience a lot of stress. Taking a quick break from writing papers and studying for tests to do something entirely different can restore your energy and focus,” Irwin said.

Expect the beloved therapy dogs to visit most days on the second floor. Find the specific hours on the ClubLibCmich website.

Irwin said the therapy dogs are among the favorite de-stress methods offered during final exams.

“While spending time petting and hugging the dogs, students relax, smile, laugh or cry, and sometimes fall asleep.”