School of Music to present Juletide Dec. 7

studymusicbuilding_mt_01

The lobby of the Music Building on campus serves as a relaxing and peaceful place to study while listening to music leaking out of various practice rooms and classrooms.  (File Photo)

School of Music students and faculty are presenting "Juletide" at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 7 and 2 p.m. Dec. 8 in the Music Building Staples Family Concert Hall.

The annual holiday concert is a variety performance that features performances by Chamber Singers, Concert Choir, Women of Concert Choir, Christ Central Choir, the Men of Concert Choir, and the Festival Chorus. Playing alongside these groups is a small orchestra that will accompany them. 

"Juletide" features all the CMU choirs performing in a collage style, which means singers are around the room for the duration of the concert, and audience applause is held until the end. 

The word "Juletide" means "Christmas" or "Christmastide," said Amon Eady, director of choral activities for the school of music.

"The concert does not celebrate any one religion or holiday, specifically. Selections are sacred and secular in nature, and cover a wide variety of holiday, religious, and seasonal themes," Eady said.

The event happens once a year at the end of the fall semester and is a ticketed event. Tickets are $10 for the public or $7 for students and seniors. Tickets are available online and at the Central Box Office by calling (989) 774-3045, but cannot be bought at the show.