Keno Davis: Kevin McKay 'hopeful' to return soon for Central Michigan

mbb-jan-7-8

Central Michigan guard Kevin McKay points to guard Devontae Lane after making a free throw toward the end of the second half against Northern Illinois Jan. 7 at McGuirk Arena.

Kevin McKay has missed the last three games due to an injury for the Central Michigan men's basketball team. 

In those games, the Chippewas have lost to Kent State on the road, picked up their first road win at Toledo and lost by 19 at home to Buffalo -- the team's first loss at home this season. 

With a Mid-American Conference West Division showdown against Ball State at home looming, a return of the team's leading scorer averaging 15.4 points per game would be beneficial to the team. 

However, coach Keno Davis said he is not sure exactly when the 6-foot-5, 228-pound senior guard will return for the Chippewas.

"He's day-to-day," Davis said. "The most I can say with that is I'm hopeful that he'll be back for Ball State."

Davis has not commented on the nature of McKay's injury so it remains unknown. He said he 

McKay also missed the Nov. 18 game against Siena Heights with an ankle injury and came in off the bench in the next couple of games for the Chippewas. 

"I'm always looking for him to come back," Davis said. "I'm always looking for everyone to come back. As we have, we'll make sure that any injury that we're putting their welfare first. As in not just day-to-day but long-term."

After the Chippewas' 86-67 loss to Buffalo on Saturday in McGuirk Arena, the team's first loss at home this season, Davis said the team misses McKay's presence. 

Davis said CMU cannot use McKay's absence as an excuse because of the depth it has at the guard position. 

"If you take one of the best players off any team it's going to have an impact," Davis said. "You don't like going through the injuries, but in some ways, with other guys getting an opportunity to play and play extended minutes could help us down the stretch, at least that's how we're looking at it right now."

Senior forward David DiLeo said the guys that have been able to step up and fill the void left by McKay's injury has been valuable to the Chippewas. 

Junior guard Travon Broadway Jr., who was a starter at the beginning of the season and moved to one of the first guys off the bench, stepped into McKay's starting role and scores 8.5 points per game. 

Another junior guard, Deschon Winston, has also been thrust into a bigger role to work with Broadway and the rest of the Chippewas to make up for McKay's missing production. 

"Obviously when you lose a player as skilled and as versatile as Kevin is, it's a big loss," DiLeo said. "We go by next man up and next man in and we've had some guys step up and step in and play their role great and we've adjusted."