Flu shot options available in and around campus

flurusco-2

Flyers about the Flu Challenge hang outside Student Health Services on Nov. 9 in Foust Hall.

Central Michigan University's staff, faculty and students are being asked to take extra steps throughout the flu season, outside of healthy eating and sleeping habits and good hand-washing techniques. 

"We have had several positive flu cases, both the A and B strains," said Jodi Shoebottom, clinical coordinator of health services at CMU Health.

CMU offers flu shots for students by appointment or walk-in from 8-11:30 a.m. and 1-4:30 p.m. Mondays-Fridays at Student Health Services in Foust Hall 200. 

Faculty and staff can receive flu shots at Foust or from 8-11:30 a.m. and 1-4:30 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays and 8-11:30 a.m. Fridays at the Primary and Specialty Services Clinic at 2600 Three Leaves Drive in Mount Pleasant. 

Shoebottom said most insurances pay for the flu vaccine. The clinics will also accept a cash payment of $35.

"We bill insurance for the vaccine," she said, "however, we suggest you check with your insurance carrier to verify."

If you have questions about billing, call CMU Health at 989-774-6599. Beyond receiving the flu shot, handwashing with soap and water is the best defense, Shoebottom said.

Other places students, staff and faculty can receive a flu vaccine include places such as Walgreens, CVS, Meijers, and a variety of other places. Prices for these vaccines can vary depending on insurance coverage and accessibility.

For information on the flu shot and where you can get it, visit the HealthMap Vaccine Finder.