Three candidates in running for College of Business Administration associate dean

grawn-cover

Grawn Hall, home of the College of Business Administration, on September 15, 2017, on CMU's campus.

The College of Business Administration is seeking to fulfill an associate dean position. 

The internal search was announced October 2019 by Chris Moberg, dean of the College of Business Administration. Kathy Irwin, dean of libraries, has served as chair of the search committee.  

The process has led to three candidates – Misty Bennett, Deborah Gray and Karl Smart.

Misty Bennett

Bennett currently serves as chair of the management department and assistant dean of the College of Business Administration. She has a doctoral and master's degree in organizational psychology and a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology and chemistry from Central Michigan University.

In her consulting work, Benett has focused on strategic staffing planning, training and instructional design. Through her research, she has helped companies develop inclusive cultures for employees of different generations. 

Deborah Gray

Gray works as the assessment coordinator for the MBA program and a marketing professor at the CMU College of Business Administration. Gray has a doctorate in management from Royal Holloway College at the University of London, her MBA from Central Michigan and a science undergraduate degree in marketing from Ferris State University. 

Gray has authored “Branding on the Green” as a guest contributor to “Selling on the Green: The Art of Building Trusted Relationships and Growing Your Business on the Golf Course.” With her interest in golf, Gray is investigating golf’s branding impact on careers of women and minorities in business.

She has also published research in the scholarship of teaching and learning, assessment, and golf and business.

Karl Smart

Smart is interim associate dean of the College of Business Administration and professor of business information systems. His education involves a doctoral degree in rhetorical strategies and technical communication from the University of Florida. He also earned a Master of Arts degree from Utah State University and a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Utah.

Before coming to CMU, Smart taught at Michigan State University and Brigham University in Utah. 

Through prior experience as interim associate dean, Smart was able to initiate a faculty mentoring program that provided leadership, direction and support for more than 150 faculty members.