OPINION: Why students should join SGA

jake-hendricks-speaks-to-sga-at-fall-showcase-dec-2-2019

SGA President Jake Hendricks speaks at the fall showcase in the Sarah and Daniel Opperman Auditorium, Monday, Dec. 2, 2019.

Fellow students, the CMU Student Government Association will be holding Senate elections for 15 available seats on Monday, Jan. 27 at 7 p.m. in the Bovee University Center Auditorium, on the third floor. These elected members will share an incredible opportunity to make an impact on our campus community. Senators advocate through projects, initiatives, and legislation on the issues they care about.  

We ask that candidates are nominated during our meeting on Jan. 27 and provide a short two-minute speech on why they would be a great Senator. We seek a diverse group of majors to gain a broad representation of our students on campus. Students can self-nominate for this process.

Becoming part of SGA has allowed me to advocate for issues that I care about. Working with other student groups across campus, I’ve seen the impact that the student voice can have on our community. Learning about what makes other students passionate to get involved at CMU has driven me to use my voice to become part of the positive change on campus. 

Civic engagement is a driving factor in representing students and making sure that our voices are heard. Through SGA, I have had the opportunity of working with groups like the Central Votes Coalition, and members of student government to encourage students to vote in their local communities.

During the fall semester, we worked to provide CMU students with free menstrual hygiene products in restrooms on campus, held the second annual Golden Gala formal dance with over 330 students in attendance, advocated for fall break, hosted our Annual Local Candidates Forum with city commission candidates, and much more. 

It’s important that as members of this community, we take an active role in voting for the change we want to see. We vote for leadership that holds our values and ideals. It’s critically important to remain engaged in your community and make an impact on the process.

SGA meetings occur weekly from 7-9 p.m. in the Bovee University Center Auditorium. Meetings are open to the public, and any students present can vote! If you have questions about upcoming meetings or elections, please reach out to sgamembership@cmich.edu for more information, or follow us on Facebook at CMU Student Government Association.

For more information about Student Government Association, please contact SGA president Jake Hendricks at hendr2jw@cmich.edu.