Man vs. Mountain draws hundreds of racers to its obstacle course

de186fe1-19bf-4479-bdce-bb7d807a8aba
Runners climbing over the last two obstacles in the final hundred meters of Man Vs. Mountain, Saturday, Feb. 1, 2020.

Hundreds of people flocked to Nelson Park to take part in the sixth annual Man vs. Mountain obstacle course in downtown Mount Pleasant Saturday, Feb. 1.

The event started at Nelson Park and ended at Mount Pleasant City Hall. The event was organized by the city of Mount Pleasant.

The event drew around 350 people for the main races, which was slightly down from last year's turnout, race director Steve Hofer said. However, he added, the number of participants in the Kid vs. Crag race doubled from last year to around 50 children.

There were many obstacles this year that ranged in difficulty, with some new additions to the course, Hofer said, including one called "Hang Time," which involved monkey bars. He said people found this one to be difficult, but fun as well. Robby Gingerich won the competitive race this year, Hofer said.

Hofer said he's still waiting to hear back on how much money was raised at the event. The department's first goal with recreation programs is to raise enough money to break even on the event. Money raised Kid vs. Crag race will go to the Wanderheart Project.

Some of the sponsors for this year's race were Mountain Town Station, Meet Mount Pleasant, Central Michigan University, Home Depot, Isabella Bank.