Booher: Chippewa fans are most loyal in MAC, will follow team despite being unable to attend

wbb-march-7-3

Central Michigan guard Micaela Kelly walks up to the free throw line in the first half against Eastern Michigan March 7 at McGuirk Arena.

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Last weekend, I filed a story explaining the impact that the fans who pack McGuirk Arena have on the team they support – Central Michigan. 

Each game night, coach Heather Oesterle and her team are lifted up by their loyal following and backed relentlessly. These fans would go to the ends of the Earth for the Chippewas, and the feeling is mutual. 

But heading into the Mid-American Conference Tournament, the most important week of the season, that aspect of the team's performance is gone. 

The MAC announced Tuesday the general public would be denied admission due to coronavirus concerns. Ohio Governor Mike DeWine recommended that all indoor sporting events be held without spectators in a tweet on Tuesday. Four hours and five minutes later, the MAC followed suit. 

Outside of credentialed institutional personnel, student-athlete family members, credentialed media, television and radio crews and official team party members, Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse will be empty. 

The news must be devastating for the loyal pack of Chippewa fans who so relentlessly support their team. I empathize with them, having experienced first-hand the Monday mornings in the back of Max and Emily's in which these fans display their devotion and share their opinions with coach Oesterle herself. 

After all, part of the reason these fans are so devoted is because the team is so accessible and promoted. The women's basketball program does so many things, whether it be the weekly "Coffee Chalk Talks," or its various promotions such as the "Hoops for Hunger" game that make it stick out and gain support from all over the Mount Pleasant community. 

Unfortunately, the decision to hold the tournament without spectators is the right one. The MAC reported Monday night that three cases of the COVID-19 virus that is spreading quickly across the country had already been reported in Cleveland. One can only assume that number will likely increase, so taking the necessary precautions is the right call. 

In the meantime, it denies the Chippewa fans a chance to make the trek to Cleveland to support their team. With more restrictions likely on the horizon for the upcoming NCAA Tournament, fans may have watched seniors MacKenna Kelly and Gabi Bird in person for the last time in the Maroon and Gold. 

However, just because they aren't there in person doesn't mean they'll stop supporting their team. 

Central Michigan has the most loyal fans in the MAC. Come Wednesday afternoon, those who aren't physically bound to work will have the ESPN+ or Mountain 91.5 radio feed fired up, following every exploit throughout the game. 

Because these fans don't give up. They won't affect the outcome of the tournament, but they'll still support the squad. 

These Chippewas know how valuable their team, and this season, is to these fans. For that reason, they're going to do everything they can to bring a conference championship back to Mount Pleasant.