Chippewas add frontcourt depth with additions of Malik Muhammad, Aundre Polk

malik-muhammad

Malik Muhammad will be joining the Chippewas in 2020 (courtesy photo)

Keno Davis identified a need and went after it. He wasn't satisfied with just one solution to the equation, either. 

Over the past week, Davis and his coaching staff have acquired commitments from a pair of forwards that will add depth to a position that looked to be depleted for Central Michigan next season.

Both Malik Muhammad, a 6-foot-9 junior, and Aundre Polk, who stands 6-foot-11 and will be a true freshman, committed to play for the Chippewas during the 2020-21 season. 

Muhammad comes to Mount Pleasant after spending two seasons at East Los Angeles College. During his time there, he averaged 5.2 points per game as a freshman and 9.6 as a sophomore. He also averaged 7.5 rebounds in his second season and blocked 56 shots. 

Polk played at SPIRE Academy in Geneva, Ohio but hails from Detroit. He played AAU for The Family, teaming with players such as Michigan State guard Rocket Watts and Oregon commit Jalen Terry. 

He also held offers from Boston College, Maryland and a slew of mid-major teams including Kent State, Ohio, Akron and Detroit Mercy according to Verbal Commits

With the two additions, the Chippewas now have just one available scholarship heading into next season. 

Currently, the frontcourt is comprised of freshman Caleb Hodgson, senior Kevin Hamlet, and newcomers Muhammad, Polk and juniors Demarcus Demonia and Ralph Bissainthe. 

Polk is one of just two freshmen in Davis' five-man recruiting class, joining Trinity Catholic (Mo.) PG Rashad Weekly-McDaniels.