CAM Dean Hethorn announces her plan to retire

Dean Janet Hethorn poses in her office for a portrait on Oct. 22, 2015.

College of Arts and Media Dean Janet Hethron announced her intent to retire on Wednesday, May 13.

"During her tenure, she led the college to a new name and to a new strategic plan," Provost Mary Schutten said. "The College of the Arts and Media's long list of accomplishments under her leadership exemplifies the rigor, relevance and excellence of Central Michigan University."

Elizabeth Kirby, who is set to retire as Dean of Education and Human Services on June 30, will be serving as interim dean of the College of Arts and Media.

"As with all hiring decisions at the university at present, we are adhering to the hiring pause process," Schutten said. "We will use this time to reflect and review all aspects of academic affairs to determine when, how and what future leadership will look like."

Hethorn was hired at CMU in 2015 as the dean of the College of Communication and Fine Arts, the previous name for College of Arts and Media. 

Before coming to CMU, she served as a professor and director at the Delaware Design Institute.

“I’m really interested in connecting our students externally, outside the campus, through community engagement kinds of activities," Hethorn told Central Michigan Life when she started at CMU in 2015. "Our college has pretty amazing programs that have application and relevance beyond our perceived borders.”