'COVID-19 Community Support' group offers aid to Mount Pleasant community

screen-shot-2020-05-14-at-3-50-09-pm
The "COVID 19 Community Support (Mount Pleasant)" Facebook group started by Natalia Krepostman

Some hospitals are still overwhelmed, death rates are climbing, unemployment is rising and medical resources are sometimes difficult to find. 

In the undeniably difficult times of the COVID-19 pandemic, there are always people looking for ways to help. Natalia Krepostman, of Mount Pleasant, is trying to alleviate the hardships faced at a local level. 

Krepostman offers her assistance in the form of a “COVID-19 Community Support” Facebook group where Mount Pleasant community members can reach out for aid. 

“The people in my life have always taught me to look for ways to help,” Krepostman said. “All the conversations I’ve had (recently) were ‘What can we do?’ or ‘How can we help?' "

The Grand Valley State University sophomore hopes the group will serve as a platform to connect people who need assistance and people who are willing to help. The page offers support through direct aid or social support, and a number of community members have already volunteered to pick up groceries/prescriptions, walk dogs or make phone calls.

Since not everyone has access to Facebook, Krepostman has also made flyers that can be printed off of the Facebook page and shared around Mount Pleasant to reach out to more people in need, especially high-risk individuals.

“This community has given me so much, and I feel like this is a way to show how great (the community) is,” Krepostman said. “Seeing all the people offering their time and resources has definitely been evidence of that.”

The group currently has over 250 members and is open for any Mount Pleasant residents here. You can also reach out to Krepostman at nataliakrepost@hotmail.com