MAC Football Media Days suspended, will await decision 'at the appropriate time'

mac-trophy-helmet
A Mid-American Conference trophy and helmets sit on stage before MAC Media Day on July 23 at Ford Field.

Amid the coronavirus pandemic, the Mid-American Conference had originally planned on hosting a Football Media Preview ahead of the 2020 season. 

That plan has been put on hold as the conference announced July 14 in a statement that the two-day event was "suspended indefinitely."   

"Due to recent events, the Mid-American Conference is suspending indefinitely its virtual Football Media Day Preview until further notice," the conference said in the statement. "Originally scheduled for August 3-4, a decision concerning moving forward will happen at the appropriate time." 

On July 9, the Big Ten Conference canceled all of its nonconference games in all of the seven fall sports its teams participate in, including football. The MAC had 11 games scheduled against Big Ten opponents. 

Central Michigan was scheduled to play two of those games against Nebraska and Northwestern. Because of the cancellations, CMU lost out on $2.15 million from the game guarantees. 

No decision has yet been made on if the MAC will follow some of the other conferences and play its fall season, including football, in the spring.