CMU surrenders three-run lead in 11th inning to lose series opener in Toledo

A two-out walk-off single by Aaron Dudley in the bottom of the 11th inning gave Toledo a 9-8 win against the Central Michigan baseball team Friday at Scott Park in Toledo, Ohio.

The loss, CMU's fifth in the last six Mid-American Conference games, puts the Chippewas two games behind first place in the West Division.

CMU (24-19, 12-7 MAC) looked to have had the game in its grasp in the 10th inning after a three-run double by senior James Teas (4-for-6, four RBIs) gave it an 8-5 lead. But a three-run homer by Toledo's Matt Delewski tied the game and sent it to a second extra inning where the Rockets would pull off the win.

Sophomore left-hander Trent Howard (3-3) took the loss after giving up four runs on six hits in 2 2/3 innings pitched. He pitched out a bases-loaded jam in the ninth but surrendered all four runs in extra innings.

Starter Jesse Hernandez lasted eight innings and allowed five runs on 10 hits, striking out three.

After posting two runs in the first, the Chippewas extended their lead to 3-0 in the third inning on a single by junior Brendan Emmett. Toledo (28-17, 14-5 MAC) responded with five runs on six hits in the bottom half of the third.

CMU used a sequence of walks, a wild pitch and ground outs to manufacture a pair of runs and tie the game at 5 in the fifth inning, where it remained until extra innings.

Both teams will play game two of the series at 1 p.m. Saturday.