Minor league update: Collmenter promoted to Triple-A Reno, Hernandez at Single-A Auburn

Several former Central Michigan baseball players are making a splash in the minor leagues.

Right-handed pitcher Josh Collmenter was called up to the Arizona Diamondbacks’ Triple-A affiliate the Reno Aces last week. Collmenter pitched two scoreless innings in the Southern League (Double-A) All-Star Game on July 12, earning him his second Triple-A promotion of the season.

Since his call up, he earned the win in Reno’s 9-6 win against Portland on Monday. Collmenter is 2-1 with a 4.66 ERA in five starts this season in Triple-A. He was 6-2 with a 1.59 ERA in nine starts at Double-A Mobile.

“It’s exciting to be back up here,” Collmenter said. “This season’s been pretty crazy in term of bouncing from league to league, but it’s good to be back up here and have that opportunity and be that close to the big leagues. I’m pitching well and ... I possibly could be in the mix (for a promotion to the major leagues), so it’s an exciting possibility.”

Collmenter, CMU’s all-time strikeout leader, was drafted by the Diamondbacks in the 15th round of the 2007 MLB Draft.

Also moving up is right-handed pitcher Jesse Hernandez, who’s one step closer back to his home state.

“It’s exciting for me just from the standpoint that I know it’s a part of the process to keep watching them grow, just play the game and get better,” said CMU head coach Steve Jaksa. “(You keep) watching them do the things they did here and you’re proud of what their accomplishments are. Those two guys have to try and keep getting people out.”

Since signing with the Toronto Blue Jays as a free agent, Hernandez has been promoted to Single-A short season Auburn (N.Y.), where he is 1-2 with a 4.96 ERA in six appearances. Hernandez allowed two earned runs on seven hits in 1 2/3 innings Monday in the Doubledays’ 14-5 loss against State College (Penn.). Another promotion could land him an hour down the road at Single-A Lansing.

Catcher Dale Cornstubble remains in Idaho Falls, the Kansas City Royals’ Rookie League affiliate.

Cornstubble, on a team with three catchers, has been playing about every fifth day. He is batting .333 (6-for-18) with two RBIs.

Left-handed pitcher Dan Taylor is currently at Single-A Visalia (Calif.), moving his way up from Rookie League Missoula (Mont.). He is 3-3 with a 6.84 ERA in 10 starts.

“The guys that are still playing baseball and trying to make a career out of it, that’s a tough road to hold but at the same time right now they’re doing pretty good,” Jaksa said. “You just keep tipping your hat, keep encouraging them to have good attitudes about what they’re doing and hope they stay healthy.”