Zumaya, Inge among list of Detroit Tigers scheduled to appear at private event Friday

Updated: 12:30 p.m. Wednesday

The boys of summer are coming to CMU, but not everyone will get the opportunity to meet them.

The Detroit Tigers are bringing their winter caravan – a 2-day state-wide promotional tour – to the CMU Events Center at 9 a.m. Friday for a business breakfast event sponsored by the Mount Pleasant Chamber of Commerce.

The event will be held in the Atrium, which holds only 200 people. As a result, it will be closed to students and members of the general public. Members of the Chamber of Commerce and select CMU student groups will be invited. An invitation has been extended to the CMU baseball and softball teams.

"This is a controlled crowd, different from the event last time," said Brad Wachler, assistant athletics director for business operations.

For the select few who will be in attendance, fans will be able to ask Tigers players, coaches and broadcasters questions.

Players scheduled to attend include Joel Zumaya, Rick Porcello, Brandon Inge, Brennan Boesch, Phil Coke, Ryan Perry, Don Kelly, Will Rhymes, Casper Wells, Danny Worth, Clete Thomas, Charles Furbush, Cale Iorg, Daniel Schlereth, Ryan Strieby and top prospect Jacob Turner. Pitching coach Rick Knapp, first base coach Tom Brookens, bullpen coach Jeff Jonens, bullpen catcher and former CMU player Scott Pickens and Rafael Belliard.

The radio voice of the Tigers, Dan Dickerson, and assistant general manager Al Avila will be also be in attendance.

CMU hosted the ball club’s winter caravan tour in 2008 to a crowd of more than 2,000 at Rose Arena. Right-handed pitcher Justin Verlander, former outfielders Jacque Jones and Marcus Thames and play-by-play man Dan Dickerson.