More than 800 students attend Alpha Kappa Psi Career Day

Ninety-three companies gathered in Finch Fieldhouse on Friday to network with potential student employees.

Alpha Kappa Psi hosted the annual Career Day bringing together more than 800 students dressed in their business attire looking to gain network connections, internships and/or jobs.

Some companies in attendance were AT&T, Target, Domino’s Pizza, Kroger, Nabisco, PNC Bank, Enterprises and Target.

Assistant Director of Career Services Tori Stevens said recruiters seek out students with transferable skills from other jobs, organizations or group projects.

“CMU students have great work ethic. Your major doesn’t dictate what career you go into,” Stevens said. “Students have to take initiative to seek out jobs so that they will have a solid base to start with.”

Stevens also said the economy is coming back and there has been an increase in recruiting and 433 jobs available in E-recruiting.

St. Charles freshman Charles Brocker said he was looking at Kroger, IBM and PNC.

“I used to work in a bowling alley as counter control, a filing clerk at a company in an accounting office, and I also got to do invoices,” Brocker said. “This career fair is overwhelming being a freshman, but I expect to walk out of here with good learning experience because I’ve never been to a career fair before. Hopefully I can make a lasting impression with the companies that I talk to.”

California sophomore Ashley Nelson said she came to find a job supporting her marketing major.

“This event still gives me different opportunities to look for,” Nelson said. “I expect to walk out of here with a job that will be beneficial to me.”

Plymouth senior Caitlin Andrews some companies sent her in the right direction and let her know what they would do based on her resume.

“I hopefully would walk out here with a phone call, an interview, or a job come December,” Andrews said. “That’s what I want.”