Diversity symposium to take place Wednesday in UC Rotunda

logo

The Office of Diversity Education will host its second annual Diversity and Inclusion Symposium from 8:15 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Wednesday, April 19 in the Bovee University Rotunda Rotunda.

After an introduction by Office of Diversity Director Sapphire Cureg, the morning's keynote speaker, Andrés Tapia, will give a presentation from 8:30 a.m. until 10:30 a.m.

Tapia works with the management consulting firm Korn Ferry as a program leader and consultant on diversity in the workplace. Tapia will discuss his book, "The Inclusion Paradox."

After the keynote speaker, the audience will be dismissed for two different breakout sessions, followed by lunch. One of the breakout sessions will focus on the use of inclusion language in the classrooms and workplace, while the other session focuses on identity expression.

Jade Johnson, graduate assistant for the Office of Diversity Education, believes the event is great way for the campus community to communicate about the topic of diversity.

"This is a great opportunity for students, faculty and staff to come together and gain a better understanding of each other's perspectives," Johnson said. "CMU has made a commitment to diversity and inclusion, so events like this help us understand where we are, and where we need to go."