Key returners at skill positions aid transition into new offense

New system, new quarterback, same weapons.

The post-Cooper Rush/Morris Watts era officially began Saturday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium as the Central Michigan football team held its annual Spring Game.

Fans got a glimpse of the future as sophomore quarterback Tony Poljan led Team Maroon in the new spread offense system.

Poljan has been tabbed by head coach John Bonamego as the team’s current top quarterback to take over for the record-breaking Cooper Rush. 

Poljan and the rest of the offensive players have had to adjust to the team’s transition to a spread offense under new offensive coordinator Chris Ostrowsky.

Ostrowsky, who was the head coach at Northern Michigan, was hired to take over for longtime offensive coordinator Morris Watts, who retired at the end of last season.

Bonamego called Saturday’s Spring Game a “dress rehearsal” for the team’s new offense, which has had only three weeks to learn the formations and plays.

“There’s things in reserve we didn’t want to show,” he said. “We are still growing and still evolving. The players have really bought in and made a lot of progress.”

Whether it is Poljan, junior Tommy Lazzaro or incoming fifth-year transfer Shane Morris who wins the quarterback job in the fall, one thing is for sure — they will have no shortage of weapons at their disposal.

Outside of Rush and offensive tackle Kenny Rogers, the CMU offense returns virtually the same roster from last season, which finished seventh in total offense in the Mid-American Conference.

Wide Receivers

Through the air, the Chippewas bring back senior wide outs Corey Willis and Mark Chapman to lead a group of younger receivers.

Wills finished fourth in the MAC with 1,087 receiving yards last season and added nine touchdowns. Chapman finished 19th with 592 receiving yards and four touchdowns. The duo, along with senior tight end Tyler Conklin — who broke out 560 receiving yards and six touchdowns — believe they can further their success through the air this season.

“I’m expecting for us to be a prolific offense around the country and not just in the MAC,” Willis said. “We did a lot of good things last year, but we also didn’t do a lot of the things we wanted to do. We’re just trying to improve and be the best players that we can be.”

Chapman pointed to a trio of sophomores in Brandon Childress, Cameron Cole and Damon Terry who have made progress and can help the group this season. Chapman said the group as a whole have adapted to the spread offense well.

“We have great coaches who put us in great positons and we have just worked hard at it and taking it well,” he said. “There are a lot of young guys that have joined the team that are working hard and they’ll be ready to go.”

Running Backs

At running back, CMU lost Jahray Hayes to graduation, but add two backs it couldn’t use last season.

Junior Romello Ross missed the entire 2016 season to a torn ACL, while senior Berkley Edwards had to sit out to transfer regulations.

The duo figure to work into the rotation with sophomore Johnathon Ward and senior Devon Spalding, who led the team in rushing with 758 yards and six touchdowns last season.

Ross, who came on strong at the end of the 2015 season, said he has healed well since the surgery on his ankle and he has participated in some full-speed practice drills. He said he will be ready to go by fall camp.

“You just look at it as a blessing, everything happens for a reason. I’m going to come back next season bigger and better,” he said. “It’s going to be a nice rotation. We go very deep in the backfield and the coaches will figure out the right rotation to put in and everything will role how it’s supposed to.”

Edwards, who transferred from Minnesota last season, said he has worked tirelessly to pick up the new offense and has high hopes for himself and the group this season.

“I’m going to work as hard as I’ve ever worked before. I just want to work to get my speed back and explosiveness back,” he said. “I think we are the best group on our team with our depth and how we compete as a team.”

Edwards showed flashes of his skill set in the spring game with 35 yards rushing on 11 carries, including a touchdown run off a sweep to the left side early in the contest.

Offensive Line

Blocking for the skill position players might be the most critical group of the offense — the offensive line. The line brings back four of five starters and figures to see a starting lineup of: senior Joe Austin (left tackle), junior Shakir Carr (left guard), senior Austin Doan (center), senior J.P. Quinn (right guard) and senior Derek Edwards (right tackle).

Doan said the fast pace of the new offense has been a process, but the stability of the offense depends on the line and their ability to block and create holes.

“We’re going to be strong.,” Austin said. “We are the pillar of the offense. There are some guys returning at wide receiver and running back and they look at us to be strong.”

Ostrowky’s offenses at Northern Michigan averaged over 380 yards and 30 points per game over the last two seasons. The new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach said the players have done a nice job of picking up the new system and have a lot of potential going forward.

"I couldn't ask for any more than our guys are giving right now," Ostrowsky said at practice on March 30. "They are learning a new system for sure and a new approach.”

The Chippewas open the 2017 season against Rhode Island on Aug. 31 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.