Physical therapists host color run fundraiser for Multiple Sclerosis

logo

Multiple Sclerosis affects 2.3 million people worldwide, according to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, which has partnered with Central Michigan University students to stomp out the disease.

Members of CMU’s Physical Therapy Student Organization are inviting students to participate in “Stomp Out MS with Color 5K Run and Walk,” which will take place at 11 a.m. April 22 at the College of Health Professions Building.

Registration costs $20 before the event and $25 the day of. Those registering that day can sign up from 9 to 10:30 a.m.

The race will start at the CHP Building and head down East Bellows Street, South Washington Street, East Broomfield Street and down East Campus Drive toward the finish line where the race began. Four stations will be scattered across the course for participants to cover themselves in colored powder.

Those afflicted with multiple sclerosis are impaired by several movement impairing symptoms, said the group’s co-chair Courtney Earles. “In severe cases, patients have a hard time walking and may need to be in a wheelchair or they may have troubles breathing, eating, or speaking.”

A Spaghetti dinner will take place the night before the race, April 21, from 5 to 8 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church, 1250 Watson Road. Tickets are $5 per person and all proceeds will go to the Michigan chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Earles said.

“We do this event every year and have a bigger turnout and more success each year,” said the Grand Rapids graduate student.

For more information, to donate or sign-up for the run, visit stompoutms.wixsite.com/stompoutms