Basketball's Luke Meyer selected to join international team

Junior foorward Luke Meyer lays the ball in during the game against IU Kokomo on Nov 11 at McGuirk Arena.

Central Michigan basketball forward Luke Meyer will join nine other players from around the country to participate in the Reach USA Friendship Tour of the Far East.

Meyer, who will be a senior next season, was selected to join the American squad, which will play eight games in two weeks against various Asian professional teams. 

The cultural exchange trip will allow the team to experience international basketball, learn about different cultures and develop new relationships. 

The team, coached by Paris Junior College head coach Tom Schuberth, left on May 13 and returns on May 28. 

Meyer said he is excited for the opportunity to travel and represent his country.

“I’m very excited about learning a new culture and seeing an entirely different part of the world,” Meyer told CMU athletics. “I have never been that far away from home. I know that it will benefit me and help me grow as an individual both on and off the court.”

“It will be very interesting to see how the game is played in a different part of the world.”

The 6-foot-10, 220-pound big-man was the Chippewas’ sixth-highest scorer this season, averaging 5.8 points per game. The Addison native shot 34 percent from 3-point range and added 4.8 rebounds per game.

Meyer has averaged 6.6 points and 4.1 rebounds per game for his career. He ranks ninth in program history with 88 blocks.

With the departures of guards Marcus Keene (30 points per game) — the nation’s leading scorer — and Braylon Rayson (21.2), Meyer will be looked upon to take a bigger role in the offense and lead a CMU team which finished 16-16 overall and 6-12 in the Mid-American Conference this season.