Former CMU basketball star Chris Fowler signs with Australian pro team

A former Central Michigan basketball star is heading to the land down under.

Chris Fowler, a 2016 graduate and four-year starter at point guard, recently signed with the Rockhampton Rockets of the Queensland Basketball League in Australia.

According to CMU athletics, Fowler is scheduled to join the team in mid-May as he recovers from an elbow injury he sustained on April 10 while playing for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants in a National Basketball Development League playoff game.

The Rockets open their season Friday for the first of 17 games. The playoffs begin after the end of the regular season in early August.

The Southfield native was drafted by the Mad Ants in October of 2016 and recently made his NBDL debut on March 1. He averaged 4.4 points and 9.6 minutes in five games.

A four-year team captain, Fowler helped the Chippewas win back-to-back Mid-American Conference West Division titles during his junior and senior seasons. The 6-foot-1 guard averaged 14.5 points per game over his career at Central Michigan.

The Detroit Country Day High School graduate is the CMU record-holder in career assists (686), free throws made (475) and free throws attempted (680). He is fifth in career points (1,736) and third in steals (185).

Fowler finished First Team All-MAC his final two seasons and was a finalist for the Lou Henson National Player of the Year Award and runner up for MAC Player of the Year in 2015.

Fowler is also the only player in CMU history to have all four season assist totals rank in the program’s top 10.