Rapid Reaction: Central Michigan 42, Eastern Michigan 30

mackenzie-2
Junior defensive lineman Nathan Brisson-Fast, sophomore defensive lineman Mike Danna and sophomore linebacker Michael Oliver tackle an Eastern Michigan University player during the game on Nov. 8 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Central Michigan football has a chance to appear in a bowl game for a fourth consecutive season.

On Wednesday night, the Chippewas downed Eastern Michigan, 42-30, in Kelly/Shorts Stadium. The Chippewas (6-4, 4-2 Mid-American Conference) topped the Eagles (3-7, 1-5 MAC) to become bowl eligible and earn the Michigan MAC Trophy, given to the team with the best record between CMU, EMU and Western Michigan. 

The Chippewas have recovered from a 2-3 start to the season, compiling a 4-1 record in their last five games. 

How it happened

The game didn’t start in the Chippewas favor, as transfer quarterback Shane Morris fumbled the ball on CMU’s opening play. EMU’s Maxx Crosby ran it back 14 yards to give the Eagles a 7-0 lead. 

The Eagles gave CMU a momentum shift when junior linebacker Alex Briones snagged an interception, setting the Chippewas up on the EMU 15-yard line.

However, they were stuffed on a fourth-and-one inside the 10-yard line, giving the Eagles back the ball and the momentum.

The Chippewas found an answer.

Morris found senior tight end Tyler Conklin for a 4-yard touchdown, capping a five-play, 62-yard drive and tied the game at 7-7 late in the first quarter.

On the following drive, sophomore tailback Jonathan Ward found the end zone — hitting a big hole on the right side to go for a career long 79-yard score and put CMU ahead, 14-7.

CMU never gave the lead back to the Eagles.

Morris hooked up with senior wideout Corey Willis for a pair of scores, giving him 21 touchdowns in his career. Willis trails former Chippewa and current NFL receiver Antonio Brown by one touchdown for third in program history.

For the second straight week, Ward controlled the CMU run game with effectiveness — totaling 159 yards on 19 carries while scoring two touchdowns. However, Ward didn’t play in the fourth quarter for an unknown reason.

EMU scored a pair of late touchdowns to tighten things up late in the fourth quarter, but senior defensive back Amari Coleman sealed the win for CMU with a 33-yard interception return for a touchdown in the closing minute. 

Along with Briones, senior defensive backs Josh Cox (1), Coleman (1) and sophomore Sean Bunting (2) recorded interceptions, giving the Chippewas five on the night and 16 on the year.

The Chippewas tallied 328 total yards offensively, while the defense held the Eagles to 332 yards on the night.

With the win for CMU and Toledo’s (8-2, 5-1 MAC) loss to Ohio on Wednesday, the Chippewas are still alive for a MAC West Division championship with two regular season games remaining.

What’s next

The Chippewas head to Kent, Ohio for a matchup with Kent State on Tuesday, Nov. 14. Kickoff has yet to be determined.