Bonamego seeks same consistency as McDonald's during training camp

Central Michigan coach John Bonamego works with his team during fall camp on Aug. 14 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

With a grin on his face, Central Michigan football coach John Bonamego evoked a conversation comparing his team to McDonald's. 

He said a Big Mac in Hong Kong, San Francisco and Mount Pleasant all taste the same. At McDonald's, there's consistency. 

Almost two weeks into fall camp, being consistent is the main focus of the Chippewas each day. 

"We want to be able to react and respond to situations as they come up in practice," Bonamego said. "The goal is to (stay healthy), continue to build, refine and work on our execution."

Wide Receiver Battle

The receiver battle features three openings — one of which was filled by redshirt junior Brandon Childress and the other two are void. 

Bonamego said fifth-year senior Devon Spalding is moving up the depth chart after making the transition from running back but is still a work in progress. Redshirt junior Jamil Sabbagh has also flashed success. 

"(Sabbagh) had a good scrimmage Saturday," Bonamego said. "He's putting together good practices one day after another, which is what you want to see." 

A few other options include redshirt freshman Julian Hicks, sophomore JaCorey Sullivan and junior Damon Terry, but Bonamego is seeking more consistency before making any decisions. 

"The reason McDonald's has been so successful is for one reason — they consistently deliver," Bonamego said. "I don't need to go into a fancy restaurant to find out what I want and have it be a surprise. It might be great or I could spit it right out. I'll take McDonald's any day because of consistency. There's a lot of value in knowing exactly what you'll get, just like with a player."

Central Michigan has a group of freshmen wide receivers that includes Keontra Nixon, Tyrone Scott, Ty Henderson and Keith Jefferson. 

Since the wide receiver depth is fragmentary heading into the 2018 season, Bonamego claimed there's a chance for true freshmen to find the field. 

Before that happens, he needs the budding group to process under wide receivers coach Marcus Knight. The goal is to make the remaining spots a candidacy of all ages. 

"We have a group of freshmen where I don't want to single any of them out because, to me, they are all nondescript," Bonamego added. "I haven't seen the level of consistent play out of that group that I want to see. That's wide open." 

Colby 'Cautiously Optimistic' About Defense

In his fourth year as Central Michigan's defensive coordinator, Greg Colby believes his unit could be better than ever before.

The front seven, which encompasses defensive linemen and linebackers, is returning multiple starters. CMU's front four currently consists of junior Mike Danna, senior Mitch Stantizek, junior D'Andre Dill and senior Nathan Brisson-Fast. 

Colby declared the 2018 season will be Danna's breakout campaign. Last year, the 6-foot-2, 253-pound defensive end started three games and made 54 tackles and was ranked second on the team with 8.5 tackles for a loss. He recorded four sacks. 

"Mike Danna is having a fall camp like he's never had. This is going to be a breakout year for him," Colby explained. "He's been a good player up to this point, so have Mitch Stantizek, D'Andre Dill and Nation Brisson-Fast. Those four have had really good fall camps, so I'm excited about them." 

The secondary, on the other hand, is a tenderfoot group but extremely athletic.

"Once guys settle into our assignments, we will be all right back there," Colby added of the defensive backs. 

As Bonamego said a week ago, Colby agreed — Oregon State graduate transfer Xavier Crawford is one of the most imposing players on the 2018 roster.

After sitting out his true freshman 2015 season with a redshirt, Crawford started all 12 games in 2016. During that season, he made 70 tackles, two tackles for a loss, one sack, one interception, 10 passes defended and one forced fumble. 

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound graduate transfer registered 17 tackles and two passes defended in five games for the Beavers before going down with a season-ending back injury in 2017. He has two season of college eligibility left. 

"Things don't bother him if he makes a mistake," Colby said. "He knows how to deal with it and has picked up on things really well, giving us good leadership in the back half."

A player who might not be a starter against Kentucky on Sept. 1 but will provide significant help is Arizona defensive tackle graduate transfer Marcus Griffin, who is still progressing with defensive line coach George Ricumstrict.

"He's fitting in and learning," Colby said. "There's a little bit of a transition coming in and playing for Coach Ricumstrict. He's pushed Marcus hard and it's a tempo that a lot of guys aren't used to."

The condition Colby is intrigued with the most is Griffin's body, which features 6-foot-3, 330-pound package. 

"He's a big, strong guy," he said. "You can't move him. When he gets it all figured out, he'll be a dominant guy in there."