Football looks to improve offensive execution, remain solid on defense

Central Michigan football coach John Bonamego finishes practice at Kelly/Shorts Stadium on Sept. 5.

Starting the 2018 season 0-2 was never considered for Central Michigan coach John Bonamego. 

Nevertheless, it's where the Chippewas are. 

Heading into CMU's week three matchup at Huskie Stadium against Northern Illinois, the team is focused on execution. The Mid-American Conference opener between CMU and NIU kicks off at 3:30 p.m. Sept. 15. 

Injury Update

In its 31-7 loss to Kansas at Kelly/Shorts Stadium, CMU was without three starters – center Steve Eipper, cornerback Xavier Crawford and safety Alonzo McCoy. 

Bonamego said Eipper has finished the return to play protocol, meaning he will be back in the lineup against Northern Illinois. The same goes for Crawford. 

The main question mark resides in McCoy, who remains day-to-day. Offensive lineman Clay Walderzak could make his return against the Huskies, but a final decision has not been made. 

"When he does come back, it’ll be on a gradual basis to work him in," Bonamego said of Walderzak. "We won’t ask him to take a full load, so it might take up to four games before he’s ready to play an entire game.”

Tight end Logan Hessbrook, running back Romello Ross and kick returner Jerrod Davis are not expected to play due to injuries. 

Much Needed Offensive Improvement

Starting the season with two straight losses, Bonamego made it clear he was taking the blame for the two losses. 

"It’s my responsibility" he said. "All we can do it try to put guys in the best position we can and get them to play hard with good technique."

On Sunday, the Chippewas went into the Indoor Athletic Complex to watch film. No player was in a good mood, as expected by the coaching staff. 

Despite the struggles and hardships, Bonamego is not discouraged. He said the Chippewas are talented but need to get past growing pains. 

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Tony Poljan did not turn the ball over against Kentucky but launched four interceptions against Kansas. It didn't help that the offensive scheme folded from the run game early.

Junior running back Jonathan Ward ran the ball 10 times for just 29 yards against Kansas. On the season, he's accumulated 68 yards of total offense after putting up 1,494 on 226 plays a year ago.  

"We need to be a little more patient with the run game because you have to commit to it," Bonamego stated. "We had some positive runs early (against Kansas) and got away from it a little bit."

Placing walk-on Jeff Strome at center due to Eipper's injury, CMU let loose a few poor snaps leading to turnovers. 

Nearly all of CMU's mistakes against Kentucky and Kansas were self-inflicted wounds. The conflict would be simple to correct if it was at fault of one or two players, but Bonamego said it's been a multitude of in-game aspects that are not quite good enough. 

Offensive consistency is vital to turning the season around.

Offensive Execution

To start the second half against Kanas, CMU wide receiver Brandon Childress caught a pass from Poljan but fumbled on the slant route quickly after hauling in the ball. 

Plays like those are the one's Bonamego is stressing for improvement. 

"In the last two weeks, we’ve left plenty of plays out on the field and have left plenty of touchdowns out there," Childress said. "We need to execute in order to make the big plays.” 

Taking on Northern Illinois is a chance for CMU to get back on the right path, as the Huskies are ranked No. 127 of 128 teams in the NCAA Division I FBS for total offense. 

If the Chippewas can force a few turnovers and set themselves in favorable field position, a few offensive scores could be accounted for. 

"More than league opener, for our football team this is a chance to play better and get this bad taste out of our mouth," Bonamego said. "I believe we are a much better team than what we put on display."

Defense Remains Solid

Even without Crawford and McCoy in the lineup against the Jayhawks, CMU's defense remained stout. 

Looking past two long touchdowns runs by Kansas true freshman Pooka Williams Jr., CMU's defense was only broken down on one touchdown play – a 31-yard pass from Peyton Bender to Kerr Johnson Jr.

"It speaks to the character of guys from last year like Josh Cox and Amari Coleman," junior safety Da'Quaun Jamison said. "We mimic what they did here. It's also easy with Coach (Cory) Hall because he's very detailed." 

Jamison said CMU still holds themselves accountable as if the team was 2-0. Heading into MAC play, the drive and competitive edge is at an all-time high. 

"We are all reaching for one goal, and it’s the MAC championship," Jamison said. "Any game in the MAC is going to count."

As an offensive weapon, Childress hopes to support Jamison and the rest of CMU's hard working defense. 

“All of these guys have put a lot of work in," he said. "We want to get the win and finally feel like a winner."