Central Michigan sneaks past FCS Maine for first win of season

0f4a6900
Junior QB Tommy Lazzaro passes the ball on Sept. 22 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

In Tommy Lazzaro’s first ever start at quarterback for Central Michigan against Maine, the Chippewas earned a 17-5 win against the FCS team. 

Lazzaro got some help from former starter Tony Poljan, as a wide receiver. The Chippewas (1-3) took down Black Bears (2-1) for their first win of the 2018 season. CMU head coach John Bonamego’s group delivered in front of 16,474 fans on Sept. 22 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

"There's a lot that we still need to do better on both sides of the ball and the kicking game," Bonamego said. "It's always a lot easier to make those corrections coming off a win. The kids deserve it." 

Lazzaro connected with Poljan on third down just 30 seconds into the fourth quarter for a 23-yard gain to the 5-yard line. The next play featured a strike in the end zone to sophomore receiver JaCorey Sullivan for a 17-3 edge. 

Poljan’s reception was his first of the season after switching from starting quarterback to a wide receiver role following Lazzaro’s near comeback against Northern Illinois in Week 4. 

"He's a great athlete," Lazzaro said of Poljan. "He went up and made a great play."

Lazzaro, a junior, completed 7-of-16 passes for 82 yards, one touchdown and one interception. He added 14 carries for 44 yards and a score on the ground. 

"It was a good feeling to come out as a starter," Lazzaro said. "I could've done a lot of things better. We struggled a little bit on offense."

Midway through the first quarter, Maine starter Chris Ferguson went down with a separated shoulder. He had a sling on his right arm for the remainder of the game, so head coach Joe Harasymiak was forced to play backup Isaiah Robinson. 

Prior to taking the field against the Chippewas, Robinson had not taken a collegiate snap. He ended the game 16-of-32 for 162 yards and two interceptions. 

"I thought he made some nice throws when he settled down," Bonamego said. "They have two good quarterbacks, and I'll be rooting for Maine the rest of the way." 

Neither CMU or Maine could find offense in the first quarter, but an interception from Da’Quaun Jamison with 8:13 left in the first half to give the Chippewas excellent field position. 

The forced turnover directly led to offense, as Lazzaro marched down the field and danced into the end zone with 6:59 remaining in the first half for a three-yard score. 

Despite Jamison's interception leading to a touchdown, defensive end Mike Danna was dominant with four sacks. He added seven tackles and five tackles for a loss. The Chippewas registered 15 tackles for a loss, dropping Maine for a total of 79 negative yards. 

Danna was given five stitches after the game, one more than his four sacks. 

"We had to step it up," Danna said. "I had to step it up. If that's what it takes to get a win, I'll do it every single week."

Ryan Tice, a graduate transfer kicker from Michigan, made the margin 10-0 for CMU on a 41-yard field goal as time expired for halftime. 

On the second play of the second half, Jamison made a hit on Maine wide receiver Jaquan Blair. Following a review from the officials, the safety was ejected from the game for targeting. 

Maine had its first opportunity to score on a field goal try from kicker Kenny Doak. His attempt was blocked by D’Andre Dill and scooped up in the hands of safety Devonni Reed with 11:00 to go in the third quarter. 

Despite returning the ball to the 45-yard line of Maine, CMU’s offense was unable to capitalize. Lazzaro threw his second interception of the season on a toss-up for running back Jonathan Ward. 

The ball was picked off by Deshawn Stevens at the Maine 25-yard line just moments after Dill’s blocked punt. 

Doak, unlike his first field goal chance, finally executed on a 38-yard field goal to cut Maine’s deficit to seven points with 3:24 to play in the third quarter. 

Trying to move the Chippewas past midfield, Ward fumbled the football at the CMU 40. It was picked up by Sterling Sheffield and returned three years before Lazzaro made the tackle. Despite Ward’s offensive inefficiency, CMU’s defense held Maine without points on its ensuing drive. 

Ward, CMU's starting running back, finished with 15 carries for 17 yards. He has accumulated just 52 carries for 156 yards this season. The junior does not yet have a touchdown. 

Jack Sheldon, CMU’s punter, got his kick blocked through the end zone by Richard Carr. Due to the ball going past the end zone, Maine was granted a safety to cut its deficit to 17-5 with 6:23 remaining.  

Senior linebacker Malik Fountain produced an interception of Robinson's throw to end the game. The pick was Fountain's first of his career. 

"Many more on the way," the captain said. 

With a win finally on its resume, CMU now travels to Spartan Stadium in East Lansing to play Michigan State at noon on Sept. 29. 

"We know what they are going to do as a traditional team," Fountain said of the Spartans. "We have to play ball. We have a lot of faith in our quarterback."