'Congratulations to them': CMU, Bonamego on negative side of history in catastrophic loss to Kansas

cmuvskansas-bws-28
Sophomore Quarterback Tony Poljan searches for a receiver to throw to on Sept. 8 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

The year 2009 spotlighted countless events – Barack Obama was inaugurated as the 44th President of the United States of America, "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" book was released and the No. 1 song was "I Gotta Feeling" by The Black Eyed Peas. 

On Sept. 12, 2009, the Kansas football team defeated University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) on the road. It had been nine years since the Jayhawks won away from Memorial Stadium. 

Fast forward 3,282 days to 2018 and the streak of 49-straight losses away from home was finally snapped. 

History came at the expense of Central Michigan and Kelly/Shorts Stadium, as Kansas marched into Mount Pleasant and vacated with a 31-7 victory on Sept. 8.

Redshirt junior linebacker Denzel Feaster gave high-fives. Senior wide receiver Steven Sims Jr. stuck out his tongue and screamed, "Ahhhh!"

All the while, Kansas coach David Beaty embraced Dana Anderson, a well-known Jayhawks philanthropist, with a hug. 

"It was very important for all of us to end that," Beaty said. "Our fans deserve better. I’m glad it’s over."

On the losing side of the narrative was CMU coach John Bonamego, and his 0-2 football team. 

Senior linebacker Malik Fountain spoke quickly and quietly during the post-game press conference. 

Redshirt junior Jamil Sabbagh said the loss stung more than usual due to the history behind Kansas' road losing streak. 

"They came into our place, played better than us and got the win over us."

Unlike Sabbagh, Bonamego said the struggles of Kansas did not make a difference on his feelings after the game. 

"We lost a game that we should've won," Bonamego added. "We lost because we didn't play well. Their coaches get paid too, and they have players on scholarship.

"Congratulations to them."

The gamer changer for Kansas was true freshman running back Pooka Williams, who played his first game for the Jayhawks against CMU. He ran 14 times for 125 yards and two touchdowns. 

Williams broke multiple tackles on a 20-yard touchdown in the third quarter for a 14-0 lead, then added a 41-yard score down the left sideline.

"Those are two plays that you don’t get to take out and say, ‘It was no big deal,’ because it was," Beaty said. "When you’ve got a guy that’s that explosive, that can do the things he can do, he can change games."

Williams' two touchdowns put Kansas ahead, 21-0. The rest of the business was taken care of by the defense. 

CMU starting quarterback Tony Poljan was intercepted four times. Of the six turnovers by Bonamego's group, three resulted in scoring plays. 

Poljan, in his second career start for the Chippewas, was 18-for-32 with 177 yards, one touchdown and four turnovers. 

"I'm never going to question Tony's decision making," Sabbagh said of his quarterback. "As a wideout, I'm just going to do my job and be where I need to be." 

With clear eyes and a full heart, Beaty entered his team's locker room following the road win. He was mobbed by his players in celebration. 

“You could just see pure happiness and excitement on his face,” said senior receiver Kerr Johnson Jr. “He was in there turning up with us.”

Kansas senior linebacker Joe Dineen, after 40 total games for the Jayhawks, was pleased to help end the drought. 

“It’s a long time coming," he said. 

For the Chippewas, they will go back to the drawing board in preparation for a Week 3 battle against Northern Illinois, a group that features one of the toughest Mid-American Conference defenses. 

"For us, we need to go back to work and look at this critically, myself included," Bonamego said. "All the mistakes we are making right now are self-inflicted.

"If we can improve, we will be a very good football team."