CBA dean search profile produced

First round of dean candidate interviews anticipated for Dec.

grawn-cover

Grawn Hall, home of the College of Business Administration, on September 15, 2017, on CMU's campus.

A position profile has been produced in the ongoing Central Michigan University College of Business Administration search for a new dean. 

"CMU seeks a creative, inspiring, collaborative, and experienced leader with a record of scholarly accomplishment who can work with a dynamic faculty, staff and administration at Central Michigan University," the profile states.

Maintaining AACSB International Accreditation is a top priority for CBA, a process the incoming dean will play an integral role in. 

AACSB, or Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International, is an accrediting agency that oversees the standardization of collegiate schools of business and accounting nationwide.

CMU's College of Business Administration is among the less than 5 percent of schools worldwide holding the AACSB accreditation, according to the profile.

The dean oversees all activities necessary to maintain the College’s accreditation from AACSB International, the profile establishes. The next review process is underway with accreditation team visits expected Fall 2019. The dean will lead a talented team of faculty and staff in support of program advancement.  

CBA has also identified that it seeks a dean who will "ensure a student-centered approach to Business Education."

The CBA offers 17 majors and 15 minors to more than 4300 undergraduate students in the College, with 160 faculty.

The search committee hosted an open forum on Sept. 21, which received "great input," according to Vice President of Advancement Robert Martin, who is serving as the search committee chair.

"(The sessions) showed that people have high expectations for this position and that they are proud of CMU," he said.

The search committee comprises 17 members, including Martin, that range from CBA faculty members to CMU donors. 

During the next two months, the search committee will work on outreach to get the best candidates in a nationwide search, Martin said. 

There will be a series of meetings to review candidates. The committee will review and select candidates for the first round of interviews throughout the month of November. During December, the committee will conduct the first round of interviews and narrow the pool to the top three to five candidates. 

"Ideally, we will invite three candidates to campus to interview in person," Martin said. "We will then provide the provost with our thoughts on the strengths and differences on the final candidates."

Karl Smart is acting as interim dean following the departure of Emeritus Charles Crespy.

Storbeck/Pimentel and Associates were appointed to assist in the search. They have been selected to help fill past positions at CMU such as the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences dean in 2017 and the vice president of Global Campus in 2014.

According to Martin, they have conducted several searches for prominent national universities such as Princeton University, Cornell University, University of California, Berkeley, Michigan State University and Kansas State University.

"We want to hire the best dean and (Storbeck/Pimentel) have the positive national reputation and the proven ability to do the best job," Martin said. "CMU is a national university and this is an opportunity for us to attract the best dean."