Rachel Blunt named interim athletic director

rachel-blunt
Rachel Blunt was named the interim athletic director at CMU on Aug. 27. (Courtesy photo)

While Central Michigan searches for a permanent replacement for Michael Alford, an interim athletic director has been named. 

Rachel Blunt, formerly the senior associate athletics director of institutional support services and senior women's administrator, has been tabbed for the job by CMU president Bob Davies on Aug. 27.

Blunt will officially take the job over on Aug. 31.

"As a leader in multiple areas of CMU Athletics, Rachel is ideally suited and prepared to step into this interim role," Davies said in an athletic department press release. "Her breadth of experience will bring the necessary leadership and enable a seamless transition." 

Blunt came to CMU in 2016 from Southeast Missouri State, where she was an assistant director of athletics for compliance. She leads various areas within the Chippewa athletic department, ranging from the university's Fire Up Program to compliance and development programs.  

"Athletics are a vital part of life at CMU," Blunt said in the release. "I'm honored president Davies has looked to me to take on this position and look forward to helping our department and our university meet challenges and embrace new opportunities."

Alford announced in July he is leaving CMU to become the CEO of Seminole Boosters at Florida State University. Alford leaves the program after achieving success in fundraising for improvements to Kelly/Shorts Stadium, including the new videoboard and the Chippewa Champions Center. 

As part of his announcement, Alford said he will aid Davies and the committee to find his successor.

The search for a permanent candidate is being led by university provost Mary Schutten. Blunt is part of the search committee, as are former CMU football coach Herb Deromedi, women's track and field athlete Marissa Dunn, alumnus Ronald Ekdahl, former athletes Mike Franckowiak and Reyna Frost, faculty member Alyssa Lucas, junior wide receiver Kalil Pimpleton, CMU Alumni Association president Nathan Tallman and ceremonies and events coordinator Kyle Pybus-Jerome.