CMU hockey falls short to SVSU

vos-1002

Defenseman Charlie Hayes is restrained by a referee during Central Michigan DIII club hockey's 10-1 season-opening win over Davenport on Friday, Oct.1 at Martin Arena. 

After a hard-fought game with a total of ninety-three shots, Central Michigan Division III club hockey team fell 1-0 to Saginaw Valley State on Friday in Martin Arena

The Chippewas record falls to 3-1 on the season and 0-1 in League play. 

“We outshot them 52 to 41, it’s not like they dominated us. We played decent,” said head coach Tyler Cataline. “We got to win a few more battles around the boards. This is reality check for us, but it was all in all a good game” 

How It Happened 

SVSU came out strong in the first period and seemed to be one step ahead the Chippewas. CMU goaltender Thomas Rofe stood tall and managed to stop every shot he faced during the period. Both teams showed a physical presence early for a scoreless first period. 

The Chippewas seemed to have all the momentum entering the second. CMU controlled the puck and managed to keep the puck out of their own zone. The physicality kicked up a notch with bigger hits, more penalties, and a scuffle in the corner earning Central Michigan’s senior forward Ben Hryciuk with a ten-minute misconduct and two minor penalties for roughing and cross checking. SVSU also received a ten-minute major to keep both teams at even strength. 

It was scoreless after two and both teams were battling hard to get on the board in the third period. The puck was on both sides of the ice and opportunities were there, but neither team could capitalize on the scoring chances. It was the Cardinals that managed to sneak one past Rofe for the first and only goal of the game. 

Key Perfomers

Rofe managed to stop all but one of the forty-one shots he faced. 

What’s Next

The Chippewas are on the road tomorrow against SVSU in game two of the weekend doubleheader.

“We have a target on our back, we’re the team to beat. Were definitely going to come out harder tomorrow,” said senior forward Justin McComas.