CMU field hockey losing streak grows to 10 games

fhockey-9-16-6
West Clandon, England senior Alice O'Hagan runs with the ball during the game against Bellarmine on Friday, Sept. 16 at Cristy Freese Field.

Hunting its first home win, Central Michigan field hockey welcomed Saint Francis to Mount Pleasant on Sunday. 

However, the quest continues for the Chippewas as Saint Francis won 6-2. 

The Chippewas are now 1-10 overall and 0-3 in the Mid-American Conference, with their losing streak growing to 10 games.

CMU started hot as they were able to get off five straight shots within the first minutes of the opening period. Eventually, senior Alice O’Hagan found the back of the cage to give CMU a 1-0 lead. 

The Red Flash bounced back in the second, scoring four straight goals to take a 4-1 lead. 

Later in the period, senior Emily Maloney scored her first career goal to pull the Chippewas within two at halftime. 

During the third period, Saint Francis scored again to take a 5-2 lead. 

The Red Flash kept the pressure on freshman goalkeeper Maja Halasz, recording four straight shots within the first three minutes of the fourth period. Halasz stopped all four attempts, but later in the period, Saint Francis scored again to take a 6-2 lead. 

Saint Francis outshot CMU 30-to-10, with 22 on goal. 

O’Hagan scored her fifth goal of the season, tying her with junior Kate Biglin for the team high. Lane picked up her fifth assist on the season. 

The Chippewas will look to bounce back when they travel to Columbus, Ohio on Friday to take on Ohio State 3 p.m.