Retired CMU electronics technician impersonates Elvis

elvis-jwm-071

Elvis Presley lives on through impersonators.

That includes a retired Central Michigan University employee.

“It’s like a disease you can’t get rid of — it’s just fun to do,” said Arthur Fredericks, a former electronics technician for the College of Education and Human Services.

Elvis remains a part of Fredericks’ life, even after he retired Sept. 20 after 40 years at CMU.

“I’m living the Elvis lifestyle — staying up late and sleeping in in the morning,” Fredericks said.

Keeping busy

Fredericks began his Elvis impersonations in 1990 when a radio show broadcasting at CMU requested a performance.

Since then, he continues to pursue the hobby. His most recent event was a volunteer appreciation dinner for the community soup kitchen.

The job keeps him busy performing at birthday parties, parades, senior centers and CMU events, and he has had to turn away many gigs.

“I did one gig a few weeks ago, but I turned down a few because I didn’t want to be tired down,” Fredericks said. “I’m keeping my calendar clear.”

To become Elvis, Fredericks’ wardrobe includes bright shirts and blue suede shoes, unlike the Las Vegas impersonators who wear tight, white clothes.

He performs songs such as “Hound Dog” and “Blue Suede Shoes,” and “Blue Christmas” at CMU’s annual Warriner Christmas party.

Walt Rohn, a 1980 alumnus and Fredericks’ friend, said Fredericks enjoys showing off his musical talents.

“Art loves to perform and loves to enhance his music performance skills. He received a lot of comments from his Elvis impressions,” the St. Louis, Mo., resident said.

‘People can relate’

Although Fredericks sings Elvis’ songs, the music style is not among his favorite. Fredericks prefers music by Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry.

Multimedia AUDIO SLIDESHOW: The 'Art' of Rockabilly

But he chose Elvis because of his popularity among crowds.

“Elvis is a singer most people relate to and is a leading growth of the industry,” he said.

The impressionist was once a guitarist and lead singer of a band, which ignited his passion for singing and performing.

Fredericks shares his talent among various crowds, but only a few get to watch his shows. Fredericks does shows primarily for family and friends, but working for CMU gave him more than a few gigs.

“Being involved for 40 years has given me the opportunity to continue with music. Avocation and vocation parallel each other and when that happens, life is good,” he said.