Alfie Kohn speaks on education reform

Alfie Kohn is not happy with the current education system.

Kohn, an author and activist, spoke of education reform and progressive education Wednesday to a packed French Auditorium in the Education and Human Services Building.

“Whoever said we couldn’t get a crowd out on Saint Patrick’s Day?” said Kathryn Koch, interim dean of the College of Education and Human Services, when introducing Kohn.

Kohn, featured on the “Today Show” and the “Oprah Winfrey Show,” has written 11 books on the subjects of human behavior, education and parenting and signed books at a reception after his presentation.

He criticized the “traditional” education system in place for the majority of the country, which he said leads to low quality of learning, increases the gap between rich and poor, creates more behavior problems and causes students to lose their curiosity and intrinsic motivation for learning.

He also criticized the MEAP and other standardized tests, which he said “dumb down learning even as scores rise.”

Learning, Kohn said, should be based on understanding rather than simply being able to regurgitate facts.

“The progressive classroom is focused on sense and meaning, not the ‘right answer,’” Kohn said.

An ‘educational hero’

Kohn encouraged the audience, which included many students from Central Michigan University’s education program, to use more progressive discovery-oriented methods in their classrooms and to put less emphasis on achievement and standardized tests.

He also had harsh criticism for America’s “No Child Left Behind” system and the educational system at large. Kohn’s presentation was lightened by his use of humor and sarcasm and often broke off into humorous anecdotes.

His speech was part of the T.R. Johnson Speaker Series put on by the Education program.

Professor of teacher education and professor development Norma Bailey suggested Kohn for the series.

“I’ve read his books for years,” Bailey said.

Bailey called Kohn her “educational hero” and credited his books with helping her grow as an educator.

“I’ve known about him for about 20 years. He was the first person I recommended (for the series),” Bailey said.

Professor of English Language and Literature Susan Stan said she could relate with what Kohn said.

“Everything he said was the way I was trained to teach,” she said.  “I’m familiar with these practices and I’ve tried to incorporate them.”

Stan said “practically all” of her students are from schools using the traditional models of education and “some resist having to problem solve.”

Livonia senior Stephen Whittico said Kohn’s presentation “solidified my thinking” about progressive teaching methods.

“It’s good to see that more people believe the same things,” Whittico said.