Event focused on creating an RSO happening on Tuesday

Starting a registered student organization can be confusing.

But after Tuesday night, students may have a clearer idea of how to navigate the process.

“How to Create Your Own RSO,” takes place at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Bovee University Center Terrace rooms A, B, C and D.

The seminar is hosted by the Student Government Association’s RSO Growth and Development Committee and will outline the process of establishing an RSO.

“When you first get out of high school, students tend to look for their high school buddies,” said Tom Idema, assistant director of Student Life. “But joining an RSO can bridge people together who might not know one another otherwise.”

The event will feature a speech by Idema and a performance by Saturday Night Improv.

Nathan Heath, SGA G&D Committee chairman, said the tutorial is geared toward students who want to start an RSO, but do not know how to go about it.

The Harrison senior said students are more likely to start or join one if they have some face-to-face communication, as opposed to reading a Web site.

If you go... What: “How To Create Your Own RSO” When: 7 p.m. Tuesday Where: Bovee University Center Terrace rooms A, B, C and D

Idema encourages students to attend because of the many benefits RSOs offer.

“The average retention rate at CMU is around 70 percent but, if you join a fraternity or sorority, that jumps to 86 percent,” he said.

Implementing an idea

Idema and Heath said joining any kind of organization on campus enhances a student’s college experience.

St. Clair Shores senior Sarah Kamlay said joining an RSO allows students to network within their field while gaining hands-on experience and building a resume.

Idema said there are around 275 RSOs, but the university is always looking for ideas and innovation.

“Everyone knows how to get an idea, but not many people know how to implement those ideas. We want to give people a way to do that,” Idema said.

Ypsilanti senior A.J. Patton said joining Saturday Night Improv allowed him to do more artistically and connect with a really good group of people.

“There are RSOs for almost everyone,” Heath said. “And if there isn’t, that is why we are having this event, to show students how to create an RSO if it doesn’t exist already.”