President talks about students, financial uncertainty, transition at Academic Senate

senate-jms-05
Jeff Smith/Staff Photographer Central Michigan University President George Ross introduces himself to the senate at the academic senate meeting Tuesday in Dow 102.

University President George Ross spoke Tuesday of financial woes and transitioning into leadership when he addressed the Academic Senate for the first time.

“I want to let you know that it’s day two and I’ve got it all figured out,” he said, jokingly, to the group gathered in Dow 102.

Ross discussed plans for his transition team and briefly mentioned the financial difficulties facing the university. He said he is still getting settled back into Mount Pleasant and hopes, through the transition process, he can learn about the university and the university can learn about him.

Dave Breed, Student Government Association member of the ad-hoc committee, said he likes that Ross is taking time to understand the university instead of coming in and making changes.

“He’s really bright and knows what we’re facing,” the Muskegon senior said.

Others, including Academic Senate Chairman Phil Squattrito, attested to the effort Ross made by coming before the body of students.

“We’re happy he came,” said Squattrito, Transition Team co-chairman and professor of chemistry. “He was welcomed warmly, and people are looking forward to getting to know him.”

Ross took over for interim university president Kathy Wilbur who, last month, collected 3, 6 and 9 percent 2010-11 reduction plans from budget centers throughout CMU.

Ross said he does not want to make budget cuts now that may have negative consequences for the university in the future.

He admitted his biggest challenge at the moment is the budget, but said it will be dealt with in “a very rational manner.”

“It doesn’t matter what the economic climate is,” Ross said. “Academic excellence, student access and affordability need to be paramount.”

Ross will speak March 8 at Ferris State University to the State Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Higher Education.

He said he will have one main focus.

“I’m going to talk about students, students and students,” he said.

Other business

Laura Frey, associate professor of counseling and special education, made a motion to rescind the actions taken at the Feb. 2 Academic Senate meeting, where senators voted to allow the dissemination of Student Opinion Surveys on the CMU portal.

The motion to rescind was defeated in a 31-22 vote.

“I do believe that violates the integrity of the institution of higher education,” Frey said. “It is not an accurate representation of a faculty’s expertise.”

Breed said the motion to rescind the vote was a “waste of time” since new concerns and points regarding the subject were made.

He said the sole purpose for SOS forms being placed online is to help students access the information easier.

“I don’t want to harm faculty,” Breed said. “(But) just provide more information for students.”

Mark Lehman, professor of communication disorders, said SOS forms are used when adjunct members are applying for a tenured position or promotion. To make the forms available online should not be of any harm to faculty members, he said.

“I think it’s ridiculous to not just make it easier,” Lehman said. “It’s already available to the students.”