SGA debate goes on, despite Agnello not attending

debate-jms-04
Presidential candidate Garden City senior Brittany Mouzourakis and vice presidential candidate Muskegon junior Dave Breed answer questions prepared by the election committee and the audience at the Student Government Association presidential debate Tuesday in the Charles V. Park auditorium. Their opponents, Troy junior Evan Agnello and Highland junior Jessica Richard, chose not to participate in the debate. (Jeff Smith/Staff Photographer)

Two podiums rested on the stage of the Charles V. Park Library Auditorium during Tuesday’s Student Government Association Debate.

But only one was used.

With the absence of Troy junior Evan Agnello, Brittany Mouzourakis, the current SGA vice president, was the only featured candidate.

Agnello said the debate would be biased because it was moderated by SGA.

“There was no ground rules, no real organization,” Agnello said. “Students deserve to hear both sides.”

Lake Orion sophomore Joe Graffeo, a senator for the College of Business, was asked to be the mediator 48 hours prior to the debate.

He was picked to replace another who was needed in New York.

Mouzourakis, a Garden City senior, said Agnello’s absence was disrespectful to the election process.

“When Evan decided he did not want to show up today, he disrespected the integrity of the election, the curiosity of the student body, and the hard work of the current SGA members who took the time to advertise and host the event,” Mouzourakis said. “His campaign, his platform, is nothing but a house of cards.”

The debate Mouzourakis and her running mate, Muskegon senior David Breed, covered questions involving the inception of Central Michigan University’s College of Medicine, promoting diversity, SGA stipends, budget issues and SOS surveys.

The five questions were presented to the candidates by the Election Committee at a press conference beforehand.

About 15 audience members had a chance to ask questions of their own.

With the economic decline, there was talk of 3, 6 and 9 percent budget cuts and funding for the College of Medicine.

“We want to make sure the one thing that isn’t touched is the campus programming fund,” Mouzourakis said.

She said with a 72 to 73 percent retention rate, the university needs to find ways to bring students back year after year.

Stipends also were discussed, and Mouzourakis explained how SGA’s budget works.

“SGA has continued to decrease their budgets over the year,” she said. “But we will not get rid of it completely.”

Running for SGA Treasurer unopposed is Hesperia sophomore Killian Richeson.

During his speech, he mentioned maintaining stability in SGA by trimming the budget.

No other debates will take place before the election, which begins Monday and goes until April 11. Students can vote at vote.cmich.edu.