Rick Snyder won't win GOP nomination

He sprang onto the political scene with ads during the Super Bowl touting himself “a nerd.”

In some of his more recent ads, he’s called for an end to the partisan bickering and lends a promise ‘to get the job done’ if elected Michigan governor.

Ann Arbor businessman Rick Snyder has made it his goal to differentiate himself from other top Republican names in this year’s gubernatorial race. And I’d say he’s done a pretty good job of it so far.

But given his attempt to distance himself from Attorney General Mike Cox and U.S. Rep. Pete Hoekstra, the two other major players for the GOP, he’s come off as more of an independent than a Republican.

Some have even called him a moderate—the deathblow in any primary election in which only the most politically active and knowledgeable participate. Republicans want conservatives and Democrats want liberals. Snyder fits neither category.

He is, however, the most business-savvy candidate among both parties, an attribute Michigan needs in its current economic climate. That alone, though, isn’t going to get him the nomination.

As much as people like to complain about politics, Snyder needs to get down and dirty and begin to take on his GOP opponents—something he won’t do. Cox and Hoekstra have gone back and forth in print and on TV, while Snyder stands idly by.

He decided not to take part in any of the GOP debates, citing his unwillingness to participate in the GOP bickering. Bad move. While he comes off as trying to appeal to those willing to listen and put politics aside, he forgets one thing—he’s running for political office.

Some have compared him to 2006 GOP gubernatorial candidate Dick DeVos. Snyder is running a similar formula, but this time it has already been tried. His campaign is being managed as if he’s all ready locked up the nomination.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Rick Snyder. He seems to really want to help the state’s economy rebound—I just don’t see his plan translating with voters come August 3.

Follow Aaron on Twitter @AaronMcMann.