Former CMU employee Sherry Pritt remembered for humor, curiosity

Jan Sterling remembered Sherry Pritt as a funny, nurturing and spirited person who had a great sense of humor even while doing her job as an administrative clerk at Charles V. Park Library.

“Sherry liked to play pranks on people,” said Sterling, unit coordinator of authorities in the library, and Pritt’s co-worker for 11 years. “She made the best of every situation including her own.”

Pritt died Jan. 11 from leukemia. She was 56.

Angela Pritt, Pritt’s daughter and a Mount Pleasant resident, said her mother fought until the end.

“She was very caring and loving,” Angela said. “She was a hard worker who was always there for her family. She made sure of that.”

Amie Pifer, office manager of library technical services, said Pritt loved to watch the Central Michigan University football team and was a hockey fan.

“I remember during homecoming last year, she came to the game all the way from the hospital in Ann Arbor where she was diagnosed with an infection and went back right after,” Pifer said.

Vicki Swarthout, specialist clerk in the library, said Pritt was very knowledgeable about almost everything.

“She liked to make spreadsheets,” Swarthout said. “She always liked to learn about the new technology. She enjoyed sharing her knowledge with people.”

Sterling said the office in which she worked with Pritt was more like a family than a workplace and it will be different without having her around.

“We will miss her laugh,” Sterling said. “Staff meetings won’t be the same without her"