Gamma Phi Delta hosts first holy hip-hop concert

Mahogany Jones was eager to perform in Gamma Phi Delta's first hip-hop concert, and to show students there are more than one way to exercise their faith.

She was one of the performers to play in the concert for between 70 and 80 people Friday night in the Bovee University Center's Rotunda. The event was organized by Detroit junior J.J. Jones.

Mahogany Jones, a Detroit resident, said she usually performs once or twice a weekend, and was invited to rap at the concert by Detroit junior J.J. Jones, president of Gamma Phi Delta, Central Michigan University's Christian fraternity.

"He told me what he was trying to do and I really wanted to come to Central," she said.

J.J. Jones said the concerts turn out was decent, and he was pleased with the crowd's reaction to the performers.

"It was better than what I expected," he said. "I feel like they're starting to get the message that you can have fun and you can be yourself and you can still live out your faith."

In addition to Mahogany Jones, Mount Pleasant-based w.o.H.i.n (Without Him I'm Nothing) was also a featured act at the concert, as well as special guests David Michael and Mz. Reality, both from Michigan.

The concert was free and open to the general public, and entertainment alternated between songs performed by all the artists as well as stories and preaching.

Gabrielle Hickmon drove to Mount Pleasant to attend the concert with some of her friends.

The Ypsilanti native said she was pleased with the show, especially the performance of Mahogany Jones.

"She's a female rapper so that's kind of cool," she said. "What she was talking about was good stuff, and I kind of relate to it."

Hickmon thought the concert was a good way to reach out to various types of people, and liked that it broke the norm of typical Christian activity.

"There's all kinds of different ways to worship …  and you can kind of reach people through different mediums," she said.

J.J. Jones, who is also a member of w.o.H.i.n, said he felt his act was a little rough. He explained that because CMU alumnus Marceil Davis, another member of w.o.H.i.n, had car problems during his drive from Flint to Mount Pleasant, the trio was shorted on practice time, and unable to fully rehearse.

Regardless, J.J. Jones said he hoped concertgoers still took away a strong message from all the performances.

"Our performance was really tied around showing people that you don't have to serve in your faith alone, but that we are connected," he said. "I just really hope that … people can leave away with something positive. That's my goal for this concert."

Jones has already started planning a similar event to take place within the next year and a half.