CMU officials consider Monday's job action decision by FA a 'positive development'

stevesmith

Steve Smith considers Monday's decision by the Faculty Association supporting job actions to secure its position in bargaining as a "positive development."

Smith, director of public relations, said in an interview with CM Life, it was the first time they have heard from the FA about meeting since talks fizzled about a month ago.

He said he expected negotiations to begin again this week between the two sides.

"We see this decision as a willingness to teach commencing Monday," Smith said.

The FA's approval of future actions allows the faculty bargaining committee to call for a job action.

That action could come in the form of faculty not showing up to work, not attending meetings, or not returning emails, but FA President Laura Frey said the hope is that both sides come back to the bargaining table.

The FA also filed an unfair labor charge against the university because it "walked away from faculty when they left the bargaining table on July 14,” Frey said in a release.

Smith said he hadn't heard about this development.

"We are unaware of any unfair labor charge that's been filed," he said.

SGA Reaction

Central Michigan University Student Government Association President Vincent Cavataio spoke in a non-official role about his fear that the Faculty Association bargaining process with CMU might ultimately harm students.

"My biggest concern is that classes start on time," the Shelby Township senior said.

Cavataio spoke in a personal capacity because SGA is not currently in session. SGA will be in session when classes start, though in the event of a work stoppage it will not meet until classes begin.

Cavataio said he believes the issue is between the university and faculty, and that students should not be punished.

"I don't want this issue to fall on the backs of students," Cavataio said. "My concern also extends to CMU valuing our faculty as they are a pivotal point in students' education"