Ceramics Society hosts pottery sale to raise funds for group

bam-3613-copy
Brooke Mayle/Assistant Photo Editor La Pier senior Jesie Stefani, center, showing her art work to her mother, left, Lori, grandma Linda and sister Jaimie, right, Thursday morning during the Pottery Sale in room 125 in Wightman hall. Jesie has several pieces of work featured in the sale including vases, plates, bowls and cups.

Room 125A of Wightman Hall displays the craftsmanship of 15-plus Ceramic Society members at their biannual pottery sale, which started on Wednesday and will end today.

With the move to a bigger location in Wightman, Ceramic Society member and Byron Center senior Matt Erdmans said he was excited to have more space and to be able to spread out the art work.

Members of the Ceramics Society create artwork every semester to sell at their pottery sales to help raise funds to buy “art supplies, pay for talented guest speakers and help raise funds to go to ceramics workshops and demonstrations,” Erdmans said. A portion also goes back to the artists involved in the sale.

“There is pretty much anything that can be made with clay (here),” East Grand Rapids sophomore Jay Begrow said.

Ranging from “not-so-functional to functional and decorative pieces,” there is something for everyone at the pottery sale, Lansing senior Carley Hoffman said.

Each table has multiple Ceramics Society members’ works displayed with their name and picture. Works include pins, magnets, mugs, sculptures, candle holders, vases, jewelry and more.

Clare graduate student Larissa McGinnity said having this pottery sale every semester is a great benefit to the club, not only financially, but also to help keep members interested in their work.

“Each member is required to donate and participate in the pottery sale,” McGinnity said. “This sale helps members make more work, because they have the incentive to do more.”

Erdmans agreed with the pottery sale's positive effects.

“The sale is a great opportunity for us to sell our work and to let other people see and appreciate what we’ve been working on,” he said, adding that the pottery sale has helped the club "tremendously."

"Bringing in the artists is the best thing to do with the money earned,” Begrow said.

The Ceramics Society members hope to raise a substantial amount of money to go toward events and other activities.