CMU named military friendly university for sixth year in a row

Central Michigan University has been named a military-friendly university for the sixth year in a row.

The website for Military Advanced Education evaluates more than 300 U.S. institutions in four categories including support, affordability, military culture and flexibility to create their Guide to Military-Friendly Colleges and Universities each year.

The guide serves as a reference often used by service members to help align colleges and universities with their goals.

“It really starts with our 40-plus years of global campus working with military personnel, veterans and their families,” said Steve Rellinger, director of CMU’s Veterans’ Resource Center. “We’re pretty unique across the United States.”

CMU’s Veterans’ Resource Center, located in Warriner Hall, helps students who are veterans and active military, as well as their spouses and other dependents.

The office helps veterans receive assistance with educational benefits, including those applicable to spouses and dependents, and it helps those making the transition from active duty to any location or online.

CMU currently educates 1,062 veterans, including 831 global campus students and 231 on-campus students.

“CMU has about 50 global campus centers across the United States, and about 20 of them are on military bases,” Rellinger said.

CMU courses are also widely accessible online.

There are more than 155 flag officers across all branches of the military with CMU degrees.

“When it comes to educating the military, CMU delivers,” Michael Nunnally, CMU’s manager of US military programs, said in a news release.

Morgan Foshee, work-study student at the Veterans’ Resource Center and Flushing senior, said it is difficult to gain support from students, faculty and staff that aren’t actively involved with military organizations, but those groups on campus work hard to help veterans and military.

“Most people assume that we are trying to recruit them or that we are still strong in the military way of life and decide that they don't want any part of that, but we really just try to help veterans adjust to the civilian and student ways of life again," she said.