Plan B emergency contraceptive changes age requirement for purchasing pill

The Plan B One-Step "Morning-After Pill" is now available over-the-counter to all women of childbearing age.

“Plan B is an emergency contraceptive for patients who have unprotected sex or have protected sex and the condom breaks,” CVS Pharmacy Pharmacist Leslie Hawk said.

She said before the new rules took effect, the over the counter age was 17. Women 16 and younger needed a prescription from their doctor in order to purchase the pill.

Hawk said the pill prevents unwanted pregnancy.

“Take it within 72 hours of unprotected sex, and the sooner you take it, the better,” Hawk said.

The discussion of allowing the pill to be available to all women has been a heated debate finalized on April 5 by Judge Edward R. Korman of the Eastern District of New York.

Although the pill is now available more freely, it does not come as a free expense.

On average, purchasing the Plan B pill will set someone back about $50.

Saginaw junior Victoria Chappel said the ruling is smart, but young women should take more precautions to avoid having to purchase the pill in the first place.

“Kids are scared. Granted, they should be talking to their parents about this, but I think, at that age, they should be able to get it,” Chappel said.

At 17, Chappel’s friend had a baby.

“Just because she was good with kids and everything and baby-sat a lot, it still changed everything,” she said. “She had to stay home more; she couldn’t even go to the movies, because she was saving her pennies just to pay for diapers.”

Plan B makes it clear that this is not an abortion pill, but rather an emergency form of birth control.

“Plan B One-Step is not effective in terminating an existing pregnancy. Do not use Plan B One-Step if you are already pregnant, because it will not work. Plan B One-Step does not protect against HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases,” the Plan B website states.

Chappel said it would still be tough to have a child at her age.

“I’m 22 now, and there’s no way I could handle that,” she said. “It makes you grow up way too fast. But, I think it’s better now to have the option at 16 so they don’t have to deal with that.”