Relay for Life brings cancer survivors, community together

kt_relay4life_05
Participants in Relay for Life walk around the track behind the Indoor Athletic Complex as part of the luminaria ceremony Saturday night. Each glow stick represents the reason why participants relay. Kaitlin Thoresen/Staff Photographer

"Cancer doesn't care who you are," Alma College head women's basketball coach Keisha Brown said as she spoke before the survivor lap at Relay for Life.

Relay for Life celebrated the 100th anniversary of the American Cancer Society and the challenges associated with battling to end the fight against cancer on Saturday at the Indoor Activity Center.

Central Michigan University President George Ross also spoke before leading the first survivor lap at Relay for Life about his own battle with cancer.

"We're here to not only celebrate survivors, but also the caregivers," Ross said. "I'd like to publicly thank my wife, Elizabeth. I couldn't have done it without her support."

This year's Relay for Life had about 800 registered participants, a number that Relay for Life of CMU Director Kristin Adams said was right on target.

"We're hoping to raise $70,000 this year, because last year we raised $60,000, which was amazing, but we can top it," Adams said.

Adams said the Colleges Against Cancer Committee at CMU recruited athletes, Greek Life and other registered student organizations to help with the fundraising.

Adams, a CMU alum, also discussed her emotional tie to the Colleges Against Cancer committee at CMU.

"My boyfriend in college battled testicular cancer, and we felt lost on campus until we met people we could talk to about our challenges we faced," Adams said. "It's important for me to make sure people in a college atmosphere know everyone is affected somehow and there are people you can talk to."

Stephanie Snyder, a member of the Student Athletic Training Organization, worked a table at Relay for Life to raise money for cancer research.

"Our group has been helping at Relay for Life since I was a member," the Shepherd senior said. "My aunt had breast cancer and is now in remission, so it is a little extra sentimental this year."

Grand Blanc sophomore Mariah Manchester, a Trout Hall resident, worked with other people in her residence hall to create a special stand at Relay for Life.

A friend of hers found a charity on Facebook called "Miles for Smiles," which supports fighters and survivors of cancer.

"He takes a before picture and an after picture of people who shaved their head as a symbol of supporting cancer," Manchester said. "Our hall got 25 people to participate, both boys and girls."

Manchester said she was happy to be volunteering her time at Relay for Life because showing passion toward a good cause can bring people in the community closer.

Spencer McKellar said helping out with a book sale at Relay for Life gave him a positive sense of doing something good.

His academic honorary fraternity works with First Book, an organization that provides children in need with new books.

"All the donations are going toward a great cause," the Sparta senior said. "I hope we can find a cure someday."

Stacey Malinowski is part of the Colleges Against Cancer committee and volunteered at the registration booth for Relay for Life.

"I heard about the committee at MAINStage and wanted to get involved," the Dearborn freshman said. "Everyone has a family member, a friend or even a friend of a friend with cancer, and, at Relay for Life, we can all come together and share a special bond"