COLUMN: Sunny and 70 is no day for homework

This weekend felt too much like summer.

Almost like it would have been sinful to not forget about homework and savor the sunshine.

The time to enjoy this weather is dwindling with each day. Trees are changing into their fiery, fall-colored attire, and the air smells like apple cider and football. It has a bite that wakes you up a bit each morning as you walk from class to class. Jeans and long sleeves are quickly replacing shorts and tank tops.

As beautiful as the leaves are and as refreshing as the air is, it all seems to serve as a warning of what’s to come.

Yes, that was super melodramatic and depressing. While we’ve got a while before a snowpocalypse hits, the carefree days of bare feet are behind us.

The morning dew is turning to frost, which will ultimately turn into flakes. Lots and lots of flakes.

That’s an awful way to look at Michigan’s most beautiful season, isn’t it? It’s 65 degrees and sunny, and I’m in front of my window writing about snow. If I had any sense, I’d quit babbling right now, but so far I’ve been doing quite poorly in making my point.

Rest assured: I know the perfect way to proceed. I am going to take my laptop outside and set up shop under the nearest tree. For those of you reading this inside right now, I’ll give you a few seconds to find the nearest door.

Good. Now that we’re all outside, let’s take a deep, crisp breath and observe. Nature really couldn’t celebrate summer’s end more festively. The air tastes sweet and the sun is still warm. The trees are painted with bright oranges and pinks.

There really is no time to dwell on what’s to come; only to embrace what’s here.

It wouldn’t hurt to think about how you plan to spend the beautiful days we have left here in Mount Pleasant. All I can say is sunny and 70 is no day for homework. Homework can wait for windy, ‘I don’t want to be outside’ weather.

Might as well get it out of your system now. Reap the benefits of Earth’s beauty this time of year before everything freezes.

And if your teachers ask why you didn’t do your homework, just blame it on mother nature.