COLUMN: Life as a 21st century journalist

mark

MarkAs a journalist and student, the Internet is the most important tool I use in my everyday life.

As a reporter for Central Michigan Life, I use it for a variety of different reasons. From looking up phone numbers and double-checking names to looking up  information about various campus officials and confirming statistics – the World Wide Web is absolutely essential.

I've been reporting for more than a year and I cannot think of many assignments where I haven't used the Internet. I check my CMU email daily for any new assignments from my editor. Google is helpful in researching topics. Additionally, I access websites like dictionary.com or thesaurus.com to look up definitions of different words or to find more creative synonyms.

However, it's important to remember that some of the world's best reporting occurred during a time when the Internet didn't exist or was still just evolving.

Names like Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein highlight the pre-Internet era. Their work, which uncovered the infamous Watergate Scandal of the '70s, was done without the aid of computers. Days of work done, not by Google, but by combing through books, records and limited technology.

This was the norm for reporters at the time.

Now, I can access records and minutes of meetings from different institutions around the country with a simple click. I have sports statistics, rosters, recaps of previous games and schedules at my fingertips.

Instead of picking up newspapers, the same stories found in the print copy can now be found online. In fact, many newspapers, including CM Life, have a digital version of their print copy.

However, the Internet can induce laziness for some.

In many instances, stories can be reported and written by reporters without having to leave their bedroom.

This has built a level of passivity in some reporters, where instead of talking face-to-face with sources, they accept email interviews and paste the needed information into the story.

Other reporters might not attempt to actually find the correct information at all. Instead, they look up the information on the Internet – which might not be correct – rather than go directly to the source.

While there are negatives when it comes to using the web for journalism, if it's used correctly, the Internet can serve as a vital tool for reporters.

It increases the speed in which organizations can share news with their readers. It also makes finding and reading the news easier. Instead of running to the nearest paper rack, the same news can now be accessed on computers, smart phones, tablets and other devices.

While the transition to digital journalism has been a little rough so far, the Internet and other technology will ultimately improve journalism and help inform citizens of daily events.