Rawls arrested Sunday for April theft

rawls_mug_01

Days after being named the Mid-American Conference’s “Offensive Player of the Week” for his 155 rushing yards against Purdue, Thomas Rawls quietly surrendered Sunday to Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribal Police.

The running back and former University of Michigan Wolverine is charged with three felonies after an April 8 theft at the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort.

Rawls faces one count of larceny in a building, one count of possessing a stolen credit card and one count of credit card fraud. The three charges are punishable by up to four years in prison and $5,000 in fines for each charge. He pleaded not guilty to all charges Monday in Isabella County Court.

On Monday, head coach Dan Enos announced the indefinite suspension of Rawls. On Saturday, the CMU Athletic Department said Rawls was held from the game due to “an issue that came to the team’s attention on Friday.” The Flint-native was absent from the Chippewas’ 40-3 loss to Syracuse on Saturday.

During the post-game press conference, media were told that the team would not answer questions about Rawls. On Tuesday, the fifth-year head coach Dan Enos would not offer comment on Rawls’ status. The Athletics Department has also not offered comment.

According to Tribal Police, Rawls and a friend used a credit card stolen from the purse of a 62-year-old Holly, Mich. woman and purchased sub sandwiches and gasoline. The total purchase was $33.75. Rawls signed his own name on the credit card receipt. Police said Rawls denied going through the purse or assisting in its theft.

A warrant was issued for Rawls’ arrest on May 16. Rawls officially joined the CMU football program on July 2. The Athletics Department does not perform criminal background on student athletes, said Rob Wyman, director of Athletics Communications.

Tuesday after practice, Enos said the football team will not tolerate players who do not consider the consequences of their actions.

“It’s a privilege to play college football. When someone makes a mistake, they certainly need to face (the) consequences,” Enos said. “If you are not living your life right off the field, you certainly will not have a privilege to play here.”

Rawls posted his $1,500 bond Sunday. He has a preliminary examination set for Thursday at 8:15 a.m.

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →