Relay with food

foodrelay_gc_01
Greg Cornwell | Staff Photographer Sandusky junior Bryan Kohn assists in feeding baby food to Alma freshman Danielle Francis, both of Kappa Kappa Psi. Food relays for Homecoming took place Monday at Finch Fieldhouse.

Walking into the Finch Fieldhouse on Monday, the sounds of chanting and cheering students waiting to compete in annual Food Relay and Field Games echoed throughout the athletic complex.

Beginning at 7:30pm, residence halls and fraternities squared off in a series of food eating events and games. The event was hosted by the office of Student Activities and Involvement.

This year’s relay and games was full of freshman and first time participants. All of the students got a chance to hangout with one another and even the homecoming ambassadors. While many people were experiencing the games for the first time, there were a few upperclassmen that were even more pumped to be returning for another round.

This was our first year at the competition as an official fraternity,” said junior Tyler Judd, a member of Sigma Pi. “The twinkie challenge was a little much, but we love to get involved with everyone and compete with our friends.”

The food relay included challenges that went along with this year’s homecoming theme of “decades.” There were fruit rollups, a Hubba Bubba challenge and students even had to eat baby food out of a jar without using their own hands.

“I’m glad that the food was better this year compared to last,” said sophomore DaRon Turner. “Team Cobb is really excited to be a part of homecoming and we’ve got a great group of residents this year who were ready to compete.”

During the field games portion of the event, each team was put at the starting line and when the whistle blew, students tried their hardest to get the shortest relay time. The events within the relay were also related to the “decades” theme and included things like unraveling a cassette tape, mummifying a team member with toilet paper and an old-fashioned egg toss.

Larzelere Hall’s team consisted of everyone across the hall, including upperclassmen and even freshman. They had signs, banners and even a fan group.

“Larzelere is extremely involved in a lot of things on campus and especially homecoming,” sophomore Emileigh Stoll, president of Larzelere hall said. “This is my first year at the games, but I know we’re all super excited to be involved, and it’s great to see the pride being brought out of each organization.”

The teams for the event were split into two main groups. Group A got to do the games first and Group B was the relay. Each hall or organization got to compete in each of the challenges and nine people were chosen for each thing. This way of organization was to make things smoother and raise competitiveness between the teams. Each team was timed during their challenges and the teams’ with the fastest times were the winners.

“We wanted to find events that not only went with the theme,” said senior Rachel Quinn, Public Relations and Marketing Chair for the games. “But also events that every student could find a strength in. The games are all about people having fun and getting some CMU spirit.”