Deciphering the Discovery

Oct. 13 is Indigenous People's Day as much as it is Columbus Day

columbusday_md_01
Children compete in different dance categories during the 30th Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribal Powwow in July 2014.

On Oct. 13 we celebrate the "discovery" of America by Spanish explorer Christopher Columbus. Columbus Day serves as an opportunity to reflect on our long, multicultural history and explore our great nation’s roots. It also sheds light on a side of that history we do not often discuss.

Indigenous People’s Day, recognized on Columbus Day, celebrates the history of Native Americans.

In partnership with the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe, Central Michigan University will host a Soup and Substance program titled “Indigenous People’s Day: Truth Behind Columbus” from 12 – 1 p.m. in the University Center.”

We encourage students to attend and participate in a discussion that is especially relevant in our community.

The story of America’s foundation has been written and rewritten several times over. The complete truth about the travels of Columbus is lost to time and translation. However, we must acknowledge and respect that there are two sides to every story, and by and large, our nation has chooses to focus on the positive.

Curriculums in American schools provide students with a very sanitized image of Columbus and his discovery of the Americas. When detailing the account, history books romanticize Columbus’s adventures and shape him into a flawless hero.

Ignored are the brutal realities of imperialization. Bloodshed tarnishes the image of the man we so desperately want to idolize, the discoverer of our land, Columbus.

At the same time, Columbus was a courageous, skillful voyager who spearheaded an expedition that laid the framework for our future.

Realizing the imperfections of our nation’s founding should not necessarily impel us into identity crisis. Genocide and slavery are unfortunate realities of our history. We are happy that they are history and no longer a part of reality. While Oct. 13 commemorates the discovery of our country, the real cause for celebration is recognizing how far we have come as a society since stepping foot on this land.

CMU and the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe are two of the main facets of Mount Pleasant’s identity. The university and casino are key draws to the city, but the entities are more than merely revenue engines for the city.

We value the relationship we share with the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe, and we are eager to take every chance to learn about their rich history and culture. Today we also commemorate the strong friendship we share with the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe and look forward to fostering it in the future.